Sign in to follow this  
karkess

layering vinyl

I had to layer vinyl today and I've had issues in the past, while lining up the registration marks, getting too close to and the marks sticking together and lifting off the backing paper, before I ever got a chance to line them up properly. 

I don't know if anyone else does this, but today I put a dab of dish soap on my finger and coated the bottom layer registration marks with a thin coat of soap and was able to slide it around and had no problems with them sticking together, and when I squeegeed them they adhered to each other just fine.  Just a tip that worked for me.  Hope it helps someone.

• Like 2

If it's a small decal I just put the whole thing on a piece of parchment paper and you can see right through it. I leave one edge with enough sticky exposed to hold it down while I pull the paper from between the two or if I'm worried I will just tape a hinge on there once it's in position. 

Doesn't matter the size, I would try and line it up and have one stick to the other and then it would pull the other off the backing and then the cursing would start. :angry:

On larger work I will cut out the top regitration mark with an exacto and a ruler, then line them up tape a hinge and peel.

• Like 1

heck with small decals ive even taped it to the livingroom outside window, and lined em up that way too!