Sign in to follow this  
karkess

wet application

I must be doing something wrong.  I've tried two different types of application fluid, rapid tac and some stuff my local sign supply company sells and no matter how long I wait or how wet I get the paper application tape, it always pulls the decal off.  I've got an install on a business door coming up and I really need to get this figured out before then.  I am using greenstar vinyl to practice with and greenstar medium tack application tape.

OMFG!  This is crazy!  I just tried again with Oracle vinyl and it's been sitting there for about a half hour now and the application tape is back to full stickiness, but the vinyl is still pulling off!  I don't understand what's going wrong.  I followed the directions, spray, squeegee, wait 90 secs, spray app tape, squeegee and peel off tape.

1) Make sure your surface is squeaky clean.  You can use RapidTac to clean with, but they recommend using RapidPrep to remove all traces of silicon, wax, oil, grease, etc.  If the surface has been coated with Rain-X or similar products, your decal won't stick well.

2) Make sure you use the proper application fluid - original RapidTac is formulated for cast vinyls, RapidTac II is formulated for calendared vinyls and cold weather installation, temps down to 20° F

3) Make sure your surface temperature is proper.  I don't know the specs for Greenstar vinyl, but for most Oracal products, they recommend a minimum surface temp of 46° F - an exterior window temp which can be hard to find around where I am this time of year!

4) Make sure you squeegee the living #*$% out of the tape - if liquid is still coming out around the edges, then you haven't squeeged enough.

5) Make sure you're using paper tape - it sounds like you already are, but for the benefit of anyone else reading...

When I've followed these rules, I've never had a problem with a wet install.

• Like 4

What OW said plus I use alcahol to do my last cleaning. Glass is one of the harder surfaces to get vinyl to adhere to especially in cold weather. I also cut away any ecess paper to let the liquid disapate easier.

• Like 2