Sign in to follow this  
aka Mich

PCI Slot name help

I need to get a few cards for a computer, just want to make sure I grab the right ones when I'm shopping.  Pretty sure they're all PCI slots, just not sure if they're PCI-express, X1... whatever other designations pci slots get.  Thank you in advance for any help.

Update:  Dug out some specs and this is what I found.

Two PCIe x16 graphics slots

One PCIe x8 slot wired as x4

Three 5v PCI 32bit/33Mhz slots

So if I'm reading that right it means I should be able to get what I need in the 3 PCI slots, don't have to look for any special designation?  What does the PCIe x8 wired as x4 mean?

T3400PCIslots_zps0c37e739.jpg

The three white card slots are your "three 5v PCI 32bit/33Mhz slots"

The longer black and the blue slots are your "Two PCIe x16 graphics slots"

and the short black slot in the middle is the "One PCIe x8 slot wired as x4"  I'm not sure what "PCIe x8 wired as x4" means, I've not seen that before.

Chances are that any accessory card you want to add that is NOT a graphics/video card will be PCI as PCIe is primarily used for Graphics/Video cards.  There are some very short cards for modems and networks that use the short PCIe slot.  If you're looking to add a USB or Serial port via a card, then the PCI is what you want.

Apologies for any typos - I used the wrong eye drops and instead of Predforte, I used Atropine and now my eyes are dilated and I can't see #$*#!   I have since thrown the Atropine drops away so that won't happen again...

• Like 1