SpotlessMike

Going wrong some where

Trying to make a black/white stencil from an object in the foregraound of a coloured picture using Inkscape and signblazer.

-opened picture in Inkscape.

-used 'bezier curves and straight lines' to place nodes around the object i want.
-used 'edit nodes path' to bend/curve the lines to the shape.
-left click and drag to highlight both.
-clip it (object>clip>set) so that the just the object is left

and its at this point i seem to get unstuck.

-trace bitmap, reveals the backround is there somewhere just invisable (do i delete? somehow)
-saving it as an eps to transfer seems to work ... but then signblazer wont open it.

Im obviously missing something probably super simple but after watching vids and trying to find forum posts on the internet for the last two nights i figure its time to cheat and ask.

*i have just tried saving and opening one of the eps files posted in one of the threads here in my signblazer which worked so its got to be a step somewhere in inkscape i hope.

Cheers!

If you want to upload the file you are vectorizing or send it to me in a private message, I can see if I can do what you want and then explain how I did it.

• Like 1

I have a lot to learn in inkscape as well but have come to understand the program as primarly for working with

vector images and a bit short when it comes to editing (cropping) bitmap/raster images. I dont know that it will permantly delete

an area of a raster image without saving it as, perhaps, a .png then re-opening it. (Didnt try this but it may work.)

Assuming the final image format you're going for is as a vector, why dont you vector it first and delete the un-needed areas afterward?

It is my habit when working with raster images to do my editing first in Photoshop (or Corel or whatever image editing software

you have) then move the image over to Inkscape to vector it and fine tune the Nodes.

Perhaps you might want to look into the program 'Gimp' if you dont have Photoshop or Corel. It is also well suited to cropping Raster images.

The trace tool in inkscape is fast and works well if you trace just the part you need and clip it , it would make node editing a lot quicker if it would delete the part you didnt want instead of hiding it.

I havent tried saving it as a png after i clip it. Ill see if that works well enough. I do have Gimp 2 on my pc but havent used it yet

Mike, I only use Inkscape to Bitmap trace and convert it to a vector file. I use a photo editor (Paint Shop Pro) to trace around (lasso - point to point or edge seeker) and cut and paste as a new image. Save it as a bitmap and Import it into Inkscape. I use Inkscape to fine tune the image moving/deleting nodes. I try to get the BMP as nice as I can before importing to save mucho time editing it. You might give Gimp a look. It's a nice photo editor.