mopar691

Big Squeegee in action

There is definitely a learning curve at first, I burn about 8 inches of app tape to be sure I have it running smooth and then use that edge and lay a ruler out to be sure my vinyl is setting square to the roll. I rarely have a mess-up now. I use the Big S with the black felt that is specifically for cut vinyl. It applies app tape great and will apply the whole think too as long as you can keep your substrate from moving. I used it last week on a big banner and it put down the vinyl without a single bubble. Kind of amazing really.

Motoxchic - (I have the backing cutter too and love it.) Are you trying to put the roll up on the holder when applying app tape? I have had much better luck with the other technique of just using the other side and pushing the roll over the vinyl, having the extra weight of the roll seems to help keep the tape from getting the little weird warble wrinkles. I use the roll holder variation when applying the vinyl to the substrate though most of the time.  

There is definitely a learning curve at first, I burn about 8 inches of app tape to be sure I have it running smooth and then use that edge and lay a ruler out to be sure my vinyl is setting square to the roll. I rarely have a mess-up now. I use the Big S with the black felt that is specifically for cut vinyl. It applies app tape great and will apply the whole think too as long as you can keep your substrate from moving. I used it last week on a big banner and it put down the vinyl without a single bubble. Kind of amazing really.

Motoxchic - (I have the backing cutter too and love it.) Are you trying to put the roll up on the holder when applying app tape? I have had much better luck with the other technique of just using the other side and pushing the roll over the vinyl, having the extra weight of the roll seems to help keep the tape from getting the little weird warble wrinkles. I use the roll holder variation when applying the vinyl to the substrate though most of the time.  

Yes, I usually have the app tape on top in the cradle (it will either be perfect or totally jacked up). I tried a 15" graphic with it on the table, then I remembered I always get BIG pockets of air through the middle when I do it that way (?).  They are better than huge wrinkles, but still not great.  Would love to get this to work consistently.

post-29312-0-83556000-1391491856_thumb.j

post-29312-0-96947600-1391491868_thumb.j

post-29312-0-44117200-1391491881_thumb.j

After looking at your pics I feel like I'm just sloppy now. I don't use a big squeegee but I also don't worry about every little bubble or wrinkle in the tape as along as the graphics is flat. That being said on the rare occasion I do RTA I tape the extra time to make sure it looks pretty so if they screw it up they don't come back blaming the tape.

I get a few wrinkles at the start and either pull it up and start over or keep pushing until things straighten out before I place my vinyl under there. I think part of the problem is that GS app tape. If you look at the edges how they are deformed a little. I have had the wrinkles a lot more on that app tape (I keep a 12" roll handy) than I have with the higher quality R-Tapes I normally use. Are you raising the back of the BS to about a 35-45* angle when pushing the roll? If you have it flat then that isn't applying enough pressure to the table, I think that would hold true to either method of application. I don't mess with anything on the front side holding the vinyl but I have had to reach over and hold it down for a few inches until the roll gets on top and then the roll presses the vinyl down as it rolls backwards along the top. I have had some lifting issues when placing the roll in the holder and trying that method, the uy in the training video just goes WHAAAA and pushes it across there like it's no big deal but I am much more careful as I can tell you are too. 

Like Jaybird I have gotten a wrinkle (that was not a crease) and went ahead with the install and it came out fine but I would.t probably sell that to anyone for a self install. The one time I did that I actually built a fix for that area and took it along because I expected to have to repair it with a patch but it ended up fine. If you get an air pocket just pop it in the app tape off the graphic and you will never notice it again. 

• Like 1

After looking at your pics I feel like I'm just sloppy now. I don't use a big squeegee but I also don't worry about every little bubble or wrinkle in the tape as along as the graphics is flat. That being said on the rare occasion I do RTA I tape the extra time to make sure it looks pretty so if they screw it up they don't come back blaming the tape.

lol, i will usually keep some small wrinkles, etc, but the whole middle section of that taped piece was one.huge.bubble.  Its like it didnt even get any pressure.   I can work those out easy, but its the giant, vinyl creasing, have to cut it again wrinkles I get that are more the norm with app tape on top of BS.

I get a few wrinkles at the start and either pull it up and start over or keep pushing until things straighten out before I place my vinyl under there. I think part of the problem is that GS app tape. If you look at the edges how they are deformed a little. I have had the wrinkles a lot more on that app tape (I keep a 12" roll handy) than I have with the higher quality R-Tapes I normally use. Are you raising the back of the BS to about a 35-45* angle when pushing the roll? If you have it flat then that isn't applying enough pressure to the table, I think that would hold true to either method of application. I don't mess with anything on the front side holding the vinyl but I have had to reach over and hold it down for a few inches until the roll gets on top and then the roll presses the vinyl down as it rolls backwards along the top. I have had some lifting issues when placing the roll in the holder and trying that method, the uy in the training video just goes WHAAAA and pushes it across there like it's no big deal but I am much more careful as I can tell you are too. 

Thanks for the tips.  Yes, raising the back to an angle.  My table is green mat, then melamine under that, on top of a plastic costco folding table (I think it's pretty flat with the melamine sheet).  I have only used the GS tape in 24", that could be it.  I have some Rtape conform for RTA stuff, which I love, but its only 12", so no BS.  I actually use my "home made" BS's (aka painters edge with felt) for the little stuff, which works great.

I think I am going to order some different 24" app tape and try that.  Its frustrating...i want to use it, but many times I end up seaming tape together to avoid it, lol. 

• Like 1

Sometimes the urge to not waste something causes more harm than what you save. If you're comfortable with the RTA that's what I'd use (and I do use it).

• Like 2

A very wise Jaybird once said,

"Sometimes the urge to not waste something causes more harm than what you save."

It sounds like you have been looking over my shoulder, lol.    (Note to self:  cut Jaybird quote for my office wall.)

LOVE IT because its so true!

May need to put it on my wall too so I don't forget it when I'm trying to pinch a penny.

• Like 1

I get a few wrinkles at the start and either pull it up and start over or keep pushing until things straighten out before I place my vinyl under there. I think part of the problem is that GS app tape. If you look at the edges how they are deformed a little. I have had the wrinkles a lot more on that app tape (I keep a 12" roll handy) than I have with the higher quality R-Tapes I normally use.  ...

I am happy to report back (yes its been a bit) the new R Tape Conform 24" roll i bought laid out beautifully with my BS! :)  I did a 12' graphic right off the bat and it was practically perfect.  The second 12 footer had a few wrinkles, but manageable...nothing like the destructive ones i had before.  I did everything else the same (even put the roll on the top of the BS cradle).  THANK YOU for setting me straight!

• Like 1

Good app tape helps and a little practice helps too.  Glad you have a combination worked out that is doing it for you! 

SO happy !  i am cutting my 24" GS into smaller rolls.  Works great for that stuff :)