Sign in to follow this  
welder.man

Business card printer what to get

I am looking for a good printer for small runs of business cards and advertising flyers. 

Anyone have a printer I would like to hear comments good or bad.

I have been looking at a Oki c711dn I have some sample prints on the way, it can print on 250gsm card and will duplex for two sided printing.

http://www.oki.com.au/printers/colour-printers/a4-printers/detail.aspx?prodid=tcm:132-95647-16

Thanks for any advice.

If you're looking for something desktop sized that does up to legal size pages (8.5 x 14"), then I'm REAL happy with my Epson Workforce Pro 4020 that I got from Cobra Ink (http://www.cobraink.com/Printers/epson4020.htm) - it's got built in ethernet and WiFi, duplex for double sided prints, uses large, refillable ink cartridges that hold 4 oz. of ink per color and can be refilled for ~$60 total for all four colors.

I use it as my every day printer for invoicing, plus printing t-shirt transfers to JPSS, 3G Opaque and Jet Opaque II, and for printing the artwork for my buttons.  It has remote printing features, so I can install a printer driver on any internet connected machine and print to the printer from anywhere, and it's own email address that I can email documents to and it will print them automatically.

I'm thinking it was around $240 with shipping and that included the first full load of pigment ink.  I've printed a LOT with it so far and you can barely tell that any ink has been used.

Thanks for the reply, I am leaning towards a laser type printer not inkjet, I have a few Epson inkjets and they print very well but slow and waiting for the ink to dry is a pain. We are looking to do in house printing for our own needs as well as our existing customers, I offer a fast turnaround and I have tried to outsource the printing but I cannot find anywhere that is quick and good quality (quick and poor quality I can find) I even had one place contact my customers to see if they would like to go directly to them, so to save all the headaches we would like to do in-house. I am only looking at a small runs maybe 2 or 3 sets of business cards, menus for cafes and pubs that change often and a few thousand mail outs a month, But I will buy a printer that will handle more if I do get busy. I have also just ordered a Ricoh SG7100DN sublimation printer for the same reason. My old boss had an Oki printer and we made all our own stationary with it and it worked out very well for him. 

Just asking for opinions and looking at options.

Canon and Konica-Minolta have several units that compete with Oki.

Color small-run printing is all about consumables (toner and drums) ==  according to the Oki specs, they are claiming a low total cost of ownership.

Another consideration is determining how you plan on cutting full-printed sheets into card-sized sections.