Sign in to follow this  
SurberSigns

vinyl wrap machine

It would probably be worth your while to contact that sign company, and go over to his place of business and see how the entire set-up is functioning, since he obviously knows a thing or two about this.

A print head that needs replacing isn't cheap, BTW.

Yes, wraps will need to be laminated. You'll need a laminator. http://www.uscutter.com/Laminators

Definitely want to talk to them and find out all the maintanance involved with the printer before jumping on it. Also, you want to make sure the other printheads are good and the heater working properly too. If it had not been plugged and running everyday, the other heads might be clogged by now and replacing them will cost more than the printer itself.

Is there any machine online that will do wraps that are not $20k?

Even wrapping a golf cart needs to be laminated? What happens if you dont laminate them?

Laminate for UV protection, moisture resistance, protects from abrasion...

I'm not aware of any 54"+ solvent printer/cutter in good working condition that sells for much less than that... and you will need that size for vehicle wraps.

The one you linked to is a workhorse of the printer world - plan on at least 1K more for the 1 head if that is the only one it needs - if it is unplugged for a few days plan on replacing them all.  Hockeygirl is correct on the lamination - it is a must for a wrap as any wear area (rubbing etc) will wear thru the ink layer as it is not that thick.  if nothing touched it  and you only hand washed it it would probably go a couple of years with oem ink and non laminated.  I do a lot of window decals non lam and they look good over 2 years later, but nothing rubs on them.  there is no cheap way to do a wrap right - you could always get on old roland cp500 and refurb it cheaper and then buy a RIP for  1-2 grand, figure out your own color profiles so the colors print properly and only have 4K+ in it . . . . oh and they print real slow - but it would be cheap.   the mimiki that you linked if now worn our is a solid printer, just plan on having another 4-6K for heads if needed, 1K other supplies, purchase a rip for 1-2K, a laminator and you are good to go,

QUOTE -- "The Mimaki that you linked, if not worn out, is a solid printer, just plan on having another $4-6K for heads if needed, $1K other supplies, purchase a rip for $1-2K, plus a laminator and you are good to go,"

I was seriously considering getting into digital printing, and visited a local vehicle-wrap company to see for myself the amount of space that takes and check into the equipment required.

It turned out that sub-contracting to them is a much more attractive financial proposition, whereby I can make good money on a wrap, and avoid all the hassles of actually having to employ people and rent a big garage and maintain expensive machines (including having to stock a complete set of spare ink cartridges, costing a few hundred dollars each).

buick-regal-bling-china-00-458x273.jpg

QUOTE -- "The Mimaki that you linked, if not worn out, is a solid printer, just plan on having another $4-6K for heads if needed, $1K other supplies, purchase a rip for $1-2K, plus a laminator and you are good to go,"

I was seriously considering getting into digital printing, and visited a local vehicle-wrap company to see for myself the amount of space that takes and check into the equipment required.

It turned out that sub-contracting to them is a much more attractive financial proposition, whereby I can make good money on a wrap, and avoid all the hassles of actually having to employ people and rent a big garage and maintain expensive machines (including having to stock a complete set of spare ink cartridges, costing a few hundred dollars each).

buick-regal-bling-china-00-458x273.jpg

LOL on the ink - if that was the only thing needed   ROFLMA

Yeah, I know what ya mean, there are plenty of added expenses in running a wrap operation.

I just tend to look at things from the standpoint of a small vinyl-cutting guy, where my entire weekly orders run into the $200-$500 range (including substrates).

That is the scale I'm dealing with now in my little shop, and when I see a single UV ink cartridge costing $595 (3L) and I need four of them in the machine and four on the shelf, my head explodes.

The one you linked to is a workhorse of the printer world - plan on at least 1K more for the 1 head if that is the only one it needs - if it is unplugged for a few days plan on replacing them all.  Hockeygirl is correct on the lamination - it is a must for a wrap as any wear area (rubbing etc) will wear thru the ink layer as it is not that thick.  if nothing touched it  and you only hand washed it it would probably go a couple of years with oem ink and non laminated.  I do a lot of window decals non lam and they look good over 2 years later, but nothing rubs on them.  there is no cheap way to do a wrap right - you could always get on old roland cp500 and refurb it cheaper and then buy a RIP for  1-2 grand, figure out your own color profiles so the colors print properly and only have 4K+ in it . . . . oh and they print real slow - but it would be cheap.   the mimiki that you linked if now worn our is a solid printer, just plan on having another 4-6K for heads if needed, 1K other supplies, purchase a rip for 1-2K, a laminator and you are good to go,

i sent you a pm with a couple questions.

slice, my sublimation carts are 120 each - the sol is actually cheaper for a cart.  the thing to have handy is the cash for quick fixes as a head going out is 850 to replace this week - wait a couple of weeks and it could be all of them.  I also keep a spare pump on hand for this same reason - so parts to have on hand - pump, dampers, wipers, sponges, 1 ink cart of each color, cap tops. cleaning solution and wipes.  you can do it!

You really, really should visit a shop with the equipement to learn about it first - it isn't like a desktop printer and can eliminate a lot of funds in a hurry if you are not familiar with the printers and maint.  once you go see one for yourself and discuss the maint then make a choice.  versaworks makes it easier than the other RIPs but they can make your head spin without the printer!