motoxchic

Install on rough backside of blockout banner help needed

The US Banners I have are 18oz blockout, 2 sided banners.  When installing on the backside, it has a rougher surface than the front.  Any suggestions on how to squeegee?  I have been doing it normal, but after lifting transfer, the vinyl tends to lift up slightly from the "lower" part of the rough texture.  Does that make sense?  So its stuck good to the top part of the texture, but when I press my finger on it, it will settle into the base of the texture.

I am having some issues with bubbles showing up after a "clean" transfer tape pull off.

Heat gun, maybe? (gently, gently, don't melt the vinyl or the banner)

thank you for the replies.  I am having a heck of a time (i did a smaller banner, same layout, and dont remember it doing this).  When i press the smoother looking areas with my finger is when the bubbles will appear.  So would I use heat (hair dryer maybe) while the transfer is still on and work it in with a tennis ball or something to that effect?  Then pull tape?   Or do it after pulling tape?  I have 22 more sides like this..gonna be a long job....

maybe your tape is too high tac..and pulling it back up..  just a thought...

I would think you would add a bit of heat and roll the tennis ball hard. Try different things. see what works best.

maybe your tape is too high tac..and pulling it back up..  just a thought...

I would think you would add a bit of heat and roll the tennis ball hard. Try different things. see what works best.

I tried some heat and rolling it, better but still happening.  I hope its not the tape, almost everything is cut and taped :( Here is what I am using http://www.beacongraphics.com/bgllc/Amazing/searchresult.asp   It does ok on the smooth side.  Its weird the smaller banner did not seem to have this issue.  I am stumped.

I really don't know what your showing me in Beacon Graphics, besides the whole store...  Hope you can get it figured out..

Maybe some of these banner pros can help you out. 

OK.  On the backside, it is bubbling where the letters are on the front.  So, if my graphic on the back is in the same spot as one on the front, it is bubbling in those areas (which makes sense as to why its not every graphic every spot).  How on earth do I avoid this?  Maybe do the backside (rougher side) first, then the smooth side?

that is good tape.  that is all I use...

whew.  that one was stressin me a little :)

YEP, its the 2 layers on each side.  I just tried laying the back rough side first, then the opposite letters on the smooth front and it was WAY better.  About 4-5 small small bubbles in a 20x24 area of semi bold text.  I am sure there is another trick  to add to this info to make it flawless, but for now, I am going with it. :)

Since your problems consist with this banner... maybe someone here has experience with 751 on a banner. I've never used 751 on a banner just 651. That may have something to do with it. I do not know.

The 2 sided banners I have worked with have a smooth surface on both sides.

The 2 sided banners I have worked with have a smooth surface on both sides.

What brand do you use?  I even called the company after receiving these (there are a total of 26) to make SURE they were install on both sides since the backside was rougher.  They assured me it was and if it said "blockout" that was the 2 sided.  I was expecting them to be smooth sided on both.  Can you tell me the brand?  I have only put 3 together, so its not too late to change it up. 

I called the manufacturer (US Banner).  They are having me overnight a part of my banner (and replacing it for me) along with my vinyl so they can do some testing.  That is great customer service IMO.  :)  She said the double sided smooth is available in 13oz but not the 18oz. 

What is weird also, is that after i install and wait about 2 minutes, the bubbles start to show up and then grow.

She asked if 751 is considered a super sticky vinyl?  I didnt think much more so that 651, but was not sure.

Where I get mine, it is 2 layers or 13oz banner sewn together with another blackout layer between.

its the transfer tape!!!  it is a high tack Main Tape.  ugh, most of my stuff is cut and taped already.  I can use it for the glossy side of all the banners, but will have to recut/tape the backside stickers.   I did not even know the place I ordered from suggested a high tac tape. :|  My fault for not testing it, but still.   They are allowing me to return the rolls I have but holy cow do I have my work cut out for me.  I did a test with the Greenstar layflat medium tack and it worked great, so I am sticking with that.

Question:  I am doing everything with a dry install.  Works great on front, and works fine on back (with med tack).  What if I installed what I have (high tac/751 cut /taped graphics) DRY, then wet the transfer with app fluid, THEN pulled it off?  I will try it to see if it works, but my question would be, if the vinyl went on dry, would adding app fluid after the fact affect the vinyl adhesion?

What I do in delicate situations is, when the vinyl is stuck, get a paper towel and wet it thoroughly and wipe down the transfer tape and let it soak up what water was put down for about 30 seconds and then remove transfer tape. This helps release the transfer tape. Not alot of water, just enough to get transfer tape moistened.