Sign in to follow this  
constricted

Just got my 50" TC Series !

So I've been using a graphtec craftrobo for around a year and was sick of being limited to the 8 inch cutting width. Before reading the rest, you must know this about me - I'm a bit nit-picky and a bit OCD.  I wanted something that wouldn't limit me, but didn't have the budget for a large machine with a servo motor like a roland or graphtec.  From what I've been reading it seemed like the TC series would be my best bet, as it's a step above the SC series and step below the Copam cutters.  So I ordered the 50" TC Series a few nights ago.  All I have to say - SUPER FAST shipping! Arrived to my door 3 days after I ordered it! 

Yesterday, I woke up to my dad letting me know "A huge box came in the mail for you, I left it in the living room.  It's real heavy".  I rush to the living room in a daze to see the box.  First impression - OMG, this box is effin' huge! I probably could've gotten away with the 31" model, as the 50" is pretty monsterous.  I'm definitely going to have to rearrange my room now to make a usable workspace.  So I put the box in my room and head off to work.

Lack of instructions for putting the stand together and getting the plotter up and running is kind of lame.  Considering it's an $800 machine it wouldn't kill USCutter to throw a print-out in the box with simple instructions or at least giving buyers the start.uscutter.com  and support.uscutter.com URLs .  If i wasn't a member on these forums or a complete newb I would have no idea where to start.  -- so none of this REALLY bothered me as I knew all of this prior to my purchase...

I like that it came with a dust cover.  I'll probably use it as a template and try my hand at sewing a thicker cover from different material in the future.  I'm also contemplating making a catch basket at the same time.  The power cord is a bit shorter than I expected it to be.  Not a big deal though.  Does anyone know If this is a special cord or can I just find a longer one that will work?

The only thing that took me a minute was figuring out how to adjust the blade in the blade holder.  (My craftrobo had those stupid red yellow and blue caps that got screwed over the blade)

So yesterday after work I got the cutter mounted on the stand, installed Sure Cuts A Lot Pro and the keyspan driver for my macbook.  Tonight after work I'm watching the Devils game (I've been so bored waiting for the damn lockout to end!) then I'm going to test her out! I'll give a little review of the cutter when its up and running

Cool.

First thing, buy a few rolls of vinyl 48" wide.

What kinds of things are you cutting usually?

The power plug is standard, any one will work (they're the kind that computers use)

Building a catch basket is a project well worth doing.

Workspace? With a 50" machine, you'll need to break down a wall.

I'm planning on buying a few 48" rolls of 651 and 631 soon.  I've mostly been cutting small decals with my last little cutter. The largest things I've cut with it were a few 8"x36" pickup truck door signs and 500 8"x2" decals for the ski shop I work for. I want to venture into larger things like wall decals, storefronts, custom hood stripes, taillight and headlight overlay kits.

Thought so with the power cable, just wanted to make sure.. 

Yea my workspace is my room, which I'm working on decluttering while I figure out exactly what I'm going to do with this gigantic machine, hah. I'd like to either get a piece of glass cut so I can make a light table that will cover the top of my desk (which is approx 5ft wide x 2.5ft deep) or get a piece of glass or plexi cut and mount it spaced off the wall a bit (like in a tint shop) but with some led strips behind to create a light table the wall. Not quite sure which would work best.