Sign in to follow this  
tammy h

Printing vinyl transfer papers for heat application?

Sorry to ask for more advice- but I'm really confused on this subject.

I see sublimation printing option w/ special transfer papers, printer and ink. I see where that blends more into the fabric.

I also see inkjet vinyl that can be printed it appears and heat applied? I see inkjet heat transfer papers - all different brands.
Can you use just a regular inkjet printer w/ out special ink? That seems too simple... so I assume there's a lot more to it. Can someone help point me in the right direction? I am getting ready to purchase a heat press- and want to know what my options are besides using just the colored vinyl. But- if it's a huge investment I might just stick with the vinyl for the time being.

Tammy

hi tammy  i was in the same boat  , i bought a  heat press  and did  some transfers,  i bought  inkjet paper for amazon, note they sell it at walmart also  but its best to buy in bulk ounce you have try it first,  and  yes it is that easy to print in your home printer,  be aware that  that have two major kinds  those made basicly for white shirts  which print  very nice  on a clear backing  thats why they are for white or very light color cloths,  they also sell one for dark fabrics  these  are thicker  with a white base ,  these have to be printed in mirror image...  i have used both and i must say they work rather well..   but i love using  my cutter  and doing the heat transfer vinyl in soild colors  it truly is the best looking,  it all depends on what your customer   wants...  side note  i bought the cheapest  heat press i could find  9x12  it works and does the job  but i am about to purchase a bigger one....  best rule of thumb  always  buy the best equipment you can afford at the time...its not always best to save a buck... hope this helps

Have you tried the print on vinyl and do you know if inkjet works for that as well?
I think a majority of the time we're going to want to use the heat applied vinyl and /or a combination of the printed/ vinyl.

I agree- I'm trying to buy things as much as possible, that I will be able to use for quite a while- so when I have the money to spend I can buy something different instead of replacing something I bought too cheaply.  But- sometimes you have this demand for something and you have to start somewhere and I guess we can always use the cheaper or smaller equipment as back up later.

I am leaning towards a swing away heat press after reading all the posts. I really liked the idea of the combo but have read and received feedback that these are not really as great as the marketing would like you to believe.  I really thought I'd go with a clamshell - but I'm a little worried about working under the heat and being able to get things perfectly lined up with the top over head. I'm hoping to make a decision soon... I have people wanting to know when I'll be able to do t-shirts/ sweatshirts etc.

Tammy

I use a Gecko 16'' x 20''. $320 and i work it hard every day. bought it may 2012 and it has not missed a beat.