steve0xr

help the newb

Im trying to make some decals. The lettering on them is pretty small. One line a half inch tall the other line a 1/4". The problem is that I cant get them to stick to the transfer tape. I'm using oracle 651 vinyl and I've tried med then high tack clear transfer tape. What am I doing wrong?

How old is the vinyl you are using.  I've come across this problem with older vinyl.  I know it's a pain but you'll have to use an Exacto knife or something similar to pick at the letters. This will help them release from the backing as you pull the app tape.  

are you using a squeegee on the transfer tape after applying the tape?    Then If applying the decal,  peel away the wax paper backing, not lift the decal  off the backing, it's a big difference. 

The vinyl is new, and yes I squeegied the transfer tape. I think I'm just going to have to change up this design. The lettering will come off like you suggested with the knife, but I was planning to give these decals out to a club that I'm in. I dont want everyone to have that challenge applying them.

are you cutting too deep?  If you are cutting too deep, it will actually drive the vinyl into the backing paper..  You should just barely see a mark on the wax paper backing..

Use paper application tape. The clear doesn't work as well for small detail I think because it isn't as flexible.

are you cutting too deep?  If you are cutting too deep, it will actually drive the vinyl into the backing paper..  You should just barely see a mark on the wax paper backing..

This is possible I'll look into it.

Use paper application tape. The clear doesn't work as well for small detail I think because it isn't as flexible.

Ok I'll give that a try also.

You should take the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there.  Put blade holder back in machine and use the force of the machine to get the same results.  Only cutting the vinyl, and barely a mark on wax paper backing.

I also use paper tape.

Small text like that is a bear to weed. So I weed the center out and use masking tape... run it over and pull it up. The letters will 9 times out of 10 will pop out clean. Then place on substrate burnish down and roll tape off. Much quicker then going blind trying to weed around the text.

Give it a try.

I cut a lot of small text decals. Text between 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I have recently switched to the Rtape AT75 and have no issues whatsoever with it sticking to it.