tammy h

Application on Painted Concrete Block

We have painted concrete block in part of our basement and we tried affixing the vinyl to it and it absolutely won't stick. Is there a special application fluid that would help or does anyone have a tip on applying/ preparing?

Tammy

• Like 1

My understanding of regular vinyl is that it's designed to adhere to flat, non-porous surfaces.

You would probably have to paint that block with some sort of paint designed for sealing basement walls- it is VERY thick, and would seal all of the pores so you could adhere to.

On block like that use no fluid, to many pockets to fill and not dry. use a lot of post heat to conform it.

What type of paint is on it and what type of vinyl are you using?

There is specific material for adhesion directly to concrete and blocks. Mostly calendered material will fail fairly quick as it does not conform and hold memory to the shape very well.

I have used MacTac IMAGin RoughRap (WW100) with great results

We didn't paint the block ourselves, but it's shiny/ glossy paint. I was surprised it wouldn't take since it adheres to glass well.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Many of the glossy paints have additives so they clean easier. It not only makes it harder for dirt to stick but vinyl too.