motoxchic

Help finding best way to do this..

I posted similarly in the Illustrator forum, but thought this might be better?

How would you suggest the cleanest way to get from the color vector image to the silhouette image? (having issues with hands and it importing into Sign Cut Pro correctly).

post-29312-0-82508700-1352146782.jpg

Getting desperate, hoping there is an easier cleaner way to do this or is there anyone that would be able to do this silhouette for me? If so, let me know the cost :)

thank you, not sure why i didnt do this HOURS ago, lol. I sent the file to VD. Certainly worth outsourcing this until I get better at making vectors!

My process for doing this would be as follows:

1) Convert the color vector image into a high resolution JPG or PNG file.

2) Open that file in your choice of photo editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.)

3) Convert the color image to greyscale

4) Start tweaking the brightness and maximizing the contrast to drop out the unnecessary details but leave all the parts you want.

5) Once you've got it where you want it, convert it to a 2-bit (monochrome) image*

6) Save the monochrome image (preferably with a new file name)

7) Import the monochrome image into whichever vector tracing program you use (Corel Draw, Inkscape, Vector Magic) and trace

*You can skip converting the image to 2-bit, but leaving multiple shades of grey will most likely cause your tracing program to generate overlapping vectors representing each various shade - by forcing it to 2-bits, you should end up with a single layer vector.

• Like 1

OWJ, thank you for the detailed instructions! I am going to try this out and save it for future designs. I hate subbing out work I can "almost" do, lol. But in this case, I am on a deadline.

I was always under the impression starting with a vector is the best situation. Makes sense what you suggest. Thanks again!

I was always under the impression starting with a vector is the best situation. Makes sense what you suggest. Thanks again!

Keeping it as a vector would be the best way, but short of that, export it as a high resolution image, so you'll (hopefully) lose less detail in the process.