jmas

Cutter options for small decals...

Hi all, I work at a large body shop and we need decals like the ones in the attached image that are placed in the stripes on some cars. (Ignore the right column, we don't use those, they were just on this sample paper I made up a long time ago.) We're looking into getting a cutter, but we're looking to do it cheaply because not many cars have them and we only have to replace them when we fix a fender that had them originally, so it ends up being a couple per month.

As you can see, they're normally around half an inch in height. They're not very intricate, but they do have some small cuts and tight angles. In another thread, someone was told they'd need a cutter with a servo motor, not a stepper motor, for smaller than half inch cuts. I assume that's what I need too. So, what's the cheapest cutter that could make these?

I'll probably use free Linux software for everything, but where do you get the templates for these logos? Do you have to buy them somewhere?

Thanks for and advice you can give me.

post-29371-0-23002500-1351565244.jpg

I talked to my boss today and he wants to keep it under $800, including vinyl. That rules out any pro cutters here and the only Graphtec cutter in that range is the Silhouette Cameo. I can't find if it has a stepper or servo motor but it looks like it is cutting some small designs on their website. Would it work for me? Is it any good?

under 800 for everything and you are pretty well limited to steppers. look at the ones offered and make sure to do a search on that model to see what others say first .

You also might be able to find a used Graphtec or Roland machine on Craigslist, obviously you take a risk when buying

anything used and it is a good idea to do some test cuts before handing over the money if possible.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I almost have him sold on a Robo Pro, which unless I'm missing some others seems to be the cheapest servo cutter. On the uscutter comparison page it shows the CE5000 from $1095-3295 but when I click it, the cheapest is the $1695 24 incher. Is the smaller $1095 version available and is it any better than the Robo Pro?

Just to confirm what is probably obvious, here's a couple of the hardest decals we need. As you can see the letters are about 1/8th tall. The Robo Pro or CE5000 should be able to cut those, right?

img20121031120937.jpg

The Craft Robo Pro is a CE5000. It's the CE5000-40-CRP,the desktop version of the larger CE5000 cutter. It should be able to cut those but one issue you will have is weeding and leaving the tiny parts inside of the A's and O's.

Yup going to be tough to weed out the pieces and leave only the parts you need. The other issue will be the smaller parts will quickly lift, peel or get damaged. What about printing waterslide or other type of decal?

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. We put off the purchase for a month due to vacations and other things and I forgot this thread, but we did end up ordering a Robo Pro on Monday and it arrived Tuesday morning (living in the same state has it's advantages). After an hour or two of errors, furstration and heartache, I think I got it figured out and I did cut those Nissan decals as a test because those are the smallest we ever use and they cut great. Weeding and small bits are hard but I've been dealing with that for a long time with the decals we've gotten from sign shops. Once on the car, they don't usually have any problems coming off. I have the advantage of working with fresh paint and they really seem to stick to it. Sometimes decals that have been on for a day or two are a huge pain to remove and I've put some on our company cars that outlived the cars.

Thanks again.

glad to hear you got the better cutter - you will never be sorry. the graphtec original steel blades are awesome - when it does come time to get new blades try a 60 degree cleancut - that is all I use on my cutters and every cutter i refurb gets a new 60 degree cleancut before it leaves!

glad to hear you got the better cutter - you will never be sorry. the graphtec original steel blades are awesome - when it does come time to get new blades try a 60 degree cleancut - that is all I use on my cutters and every cutter i refurb gets a new 60 degree cleancut before it leaves!

I already read about them here and was happy to find their blades to be $16 instead of $100. I have to get a 60 degree blade anyway to cut 3M Scotchgard paint protection film. But I have time, I have to get 10 years worth of templates that I used for hand cutting them digitized so they can be cut with a plotter.