Sign in to follow this  
Preacher35

Inkjet printer advice

So, I'm new to the vinyl-printing world. I have, however frequented this forum to learn the basics before I purchase a cutter. So, here is my situation: I build carbon fiber bicycle frames which require vinyl masks, text and graphics, in addition to the paint. To date, I have outsourced the vinyl to a third party, however, I am sick of it as I need the ability to cut on the fly (current turnaroud time is too long) and my orders do not always turn out exactly how I want them. So, since this is on a very small scale (in both size and volume), I am thinking about getting an LPII for the short run, but choosing a printer (for printing graphics followed up by contour cutting on the LPII) is proving to be a bit more difficult. I spoke to a gentleman at USCUTTER today, but he stated that in order to contour cut a multi-colored graphic on the LPII, I HAVE TO USE an eco-solvent printer and the cheapest one that they carry is $8,000.00!! Well, I do not need "eco-solvent" ink as my graphics will be clear coated with automotive grade Urethane as the final step and thus, are not affected by the sun or weather. So, my question is this: Is there an inexpensive printer solution that can successfuly print multi colored graphics and "registration" marks on vinyl decal sheet to be cut on the LPII?

Thank you in advance:

Adam Huisenfeldt

Friendswood, TX

part of the reason they recommended the eco sol ink is it bites into the vinyl unlike any regular inkjet that will sit on top and be easily affected by scratches, etc. You can paint your car with latex house paint but it isn't right when finished and hold up the same. if you don't like eco sol then look at latex hp printers . . .

• Like 1

part of the reason they recommended the eco sol ink is it bites into the vinyl unlike any regular inkjet that will sit on top and be easily affected by scratches, etc. You can paint your car with latex house paint but it isn't right when finished and hold up the same. if you don't like eco sol then look at latex hp printers . . .

By recommending an HP LATEX PRINTER, I think that you missed the gist of my concern. The cheapest HP latex printer is $26,000.00. I'm looking for a printing alternative that is affordable to me for the short run; ie. around $1k. I mean, if creating and cutting my own "designs" on a contour cutter with my own equipment is inaccessible for less than $2k, than someone please tell me. If, however there is an inexpensive print alternative, please, for the love of God, let me in on it.

Adam

To do it correctly and put it bluntly, yes it is inaccessible for that price range. Not only will you need a printer, but also a laminator and I would reccomend at least a Graphtec for a cutter to contour cut adding another easy 5k to your price tag.

There are other methods with desktop printers but the quality and material is nowhere near what one would want for a application like you suggest. The decals made this way look cheap, do not conform, are not color rich and just do not last.

• Like 1

To do it correctly and put it bluntly, yes it is inaccessible for that price range. Not only will you need a printer, but also a laminator and I would reccomend at least a Graphtec for a cutter to contour cut adding another easy 5k to your price tag.

There are other methods with desktop printers but the quality and material is nowhere near what one would want for a application like you suggest. The decals made this way look cheap, do not conform, are not color rich and just do not last.

Well, that sucks. Ok, then how about this option: A local copy shop told me that they have the ability to eco solvent print onto vinyl, but cannot cut it. If they were to print my vector-design with registration marks, could that be cut in an LPII?

Thank you in advance,

Adam

Well, that sucks. Ok, then how about this option: A local copy shop told me that they have the

ability to eco solvent print onto vinyl, but cannot cut it. If they were to print my vector-design

with registration marks, could that be cut in an LPII?

Thank you in advance, Adam

Yes, the LPII should be able to contour cut if your file and registration marks are correct.

But, now you're back to dealing with someone elses timeframe and not being able to control the output....

Believe me, even when you have your own equipment the results don't always look like what you had in mind.

You sometimes have to stop, adjust, re-print and re-cut.

You need to re-evaluate how important turn time and control really are to you.

Maybe rather than cutting back on your production time you need to

adjust your customer's expected delivery time. Explain it as a QUALITY issue.

Alternately, find another print/cut partner that can work within your timeframe.

There are plenty of reliable individuals on this forum who can provide what you need.

Good luck,

Sue2

also when you do buy a eco sol or latex printer be prepared for the maint and repairs - I had to install a new head in mine tongiht and it was $800 just for the head, then add wipers, dampers, mist sponge. if you can install it yourself it will take several hrs just to install and reallighn the heads. It really isn't as simple as buying a printer from walmart and plugging it in. Like sue said after you do get it running right you have to select the proper profiles for the media to get the color right . . . My printer turns itself on 4 times a day to pull ink thru the heads to keep them clear - so when you don't use it it still cost money to have - even on vacation!

HP Design jet T790 has got positive reviews from users and experts. Pretty damn close to your budget, costs $8,137.00. Have a look for more suggestions at http://www.wiseguys.co.nz/computer-hardware/printers-scanners/large-format-printers

But that is still a water based ink that is not compatable with most vinyl products - you would be very limited to a couple of aqueous materials and have to lam everything without the long lasting results of a solvent based ink . . .  . lots of money for the wrong product.  Beside OP was looking for under $2K - not happening for a good vinyl printer