Sign in to follow this  
CYNICALifornia

I can spend $300 on a machine . . . go!

My wife and I have looked into getting a Silhouette for a few years now. She's a pinterest addict and I am a hobby designer. Looking around at my options online I saw that for my very limited budget of $300 (need to have some $$$ left over for supplies) I could go one of three routes:

• Silhouette Cameo
  • USCutter MH 34"
  • USCutter SC 25"

Personally, I lean towards the SC, as it has a better warranty and the contour cut feature. Also, I don't forsee needing to cut anything larger than 24". It seems like a bit more quality over the MH. However I am concerned about ease of use. I know that the Silhouette is geared to the crafter and probably has an easier learning curve. I need something that will not frustrate my wife too much.

I imagine that long term use is better on the MH and SC, as they have replaceable parts, and I know blades are cheaper. However, will the MH or SC cut fabric as the Silhouette is advertised to do? If so, where do I get the carrier sheet for it?

Also, I want to be able to use Inkscape to make custom designs. Doesn't the Silhouette require extra software to do import?

Thank you for your infinite patience with noob questions.

Respect.

Hi and welcome!

I have the MH 34" cutter which was bought this March and its worked very well, even until now. US cutter's hotline is very helpful when something goes wrong ( I had to use due a program problem, but it was all solved). The ease of use on the MH is very easy, I have no experience with the other cutters that you mentioned but I'm sure someone can chime in here.

I also use inkscape to convert and create texts, logos, etc. and then transfer it to SignCut pro for cutting.

I picked up the SC25 as a portable cutter to use for fairs and festivals where we are planning to cut decals and do airbrushing... My shop cutter is a larger CoPam... I will say it works, however its way different than the copam....

Bruce

For those unfamiliar with the "carrier sheet" for the Silhouette, it's adhesive-faced plastic that holds the fabric taut, allowing for the blade to cut the cloth material, and then you can peel out the shapes.

There are also paper-backed fabrics in the marketplace, which don't need a carrier sheet.

For users of that small (12") desktop machine, there are several online discussion forums where crafters share information and tips and offer details about where various materials can be obtained.

Now, regarding the choices presented in the opening post, why was a 34" MH listed, when the poster says " I don't foresee needing to cut anything larger than 24" ?

If that's the case, the choice should be between the SC 24 and the MH 24 (MH721) --------

I own both, and the MH is noisier in operation.

As for contour cutting, that's a can of worms that the novice will not likely want to open.

I bought the cameo for cutting small airbrush stencils and found it to be very easy to use and learn. I figured out the graphics program in a couple of hours of trial and error, and have never used a graphics program before. I have also been very impressed with the level of detail that the machine will produce.

I am very pleased with the cameo. great little machine.