Sign in to follow this  
cyndipurple

Applying vinyl to race car

What am I doing wrong, no matter what vinyl I use green star or oracl when applying it to the car it bubbles. It looks perfect after cutting and applying the transfer tape. Not sure if the car should be cleaned with something special first. Any answers would be great.

How are you applying it? Wet/ Dry? Are using the hinge method? Are you holding the vinyl with a little tension on it while you're applying it?

Small bubbles can be poked and with a little pressure they will dissappear.

Give us some more information and I'm sure someone will help.

Good Luck! Alan

IMO, yes for anything other then smaller decals. Alot more room for error and easier to get the bubbles out. And there's homebrew recipes for making your own app fluid if you search on here.

Make sure your intended surface is squeaky clean as dust or grit will cause bubbles that can't be removed without damaging the vinyl. Avoid cleaners that contain ammonia and make sure the surface is completely dry or else the moisture may cause bubbles when exposed to the sun.

Another source of bubbling is the method in which the back liner is peeled away from the back of the vinyl and the way the app tape is peeled away from the front - if either method stretches the vinyl, then you will see bubbles after you apply it.

My preferred method is to flip the cut vinyl over and gently peel the backing away while leaving the vinyl lying flat - sticky side up. Then, after installation, peel the app tape away on the diagonal - start from one corner and pull back towards the opposite corner (i.e., start with the top right and peel towards the bottom left) and pull the app tape back onto itself so as to keep the angle between the app tape and the surface as shallow as possible. Go slow and don't tug - a smooth, gently pulling action will give the best results.

As mentioned above, most bubbles can be removed with gentle pressure, or by inserting the tip of a fine needle into the edge of the bubble and then applying pressure to squeeze the air out.