Sign in to follow this  
SurberSigns

digital printing

im looking to get into digital printing. making large vinyl pieces and laminating over them for big trailors and vans.

what are some places i could check out and also what are the most reliable brands?? and around whats the cheapest machine i can get that is the most reliable?

**** rolls eyes ****

Nice to see that you learned all there is to know about digital printing at your new job, Flaboy, and decided to quit from there, going off on your own to become a digital printing pro ---- Of course, you have tens of thousands of $$$ just sitting in the bank available for this endeavor?

A roll of 3M premium wrap film (IJ-3650) 60" x 50 yards is priced at $780.

Then there's the inks --- you may need up to eight cartridges, some costing $115 each.

http://www.uscutter....3-B-MKISPC-0440

For wrapping vehicles, 60" is the way to go.

H-P, Mimaki, EFI are three of the leaders.

http://www.mimakiusa.com/

You really need to talk to a local distributor of digital machines.

Or visit a trade show and see for yourself what's out there.

This subject is not something you can easily evaluate and discuss randomly in a forum like this.

• Like 1

roland versacamm or vs-640 17,000 to 27,000 laminator 2500 to 12,000. then the cost of all supplies I.e ink vinyl, tools, training, plus all the stuff i have forgot to mention.

OH the forgotten Mutoh.. $27,000 plus... Laminator $8,000 to $18,000

Ink will cost you $150.00 each of 4-8 colors depends on machine..

Digital printing and car wraps are not for the faint of heart or to get into without deep pockets to start...

My set up was $47,000 without any supplies or replacement inks...

Hope it helps fill in some gaps for you...

Yes start up costs are high. The learning curve is intense. You will need the printer of coarse(used $7500), a laminator ($4000),

Rip software($4000 and up) an i1 color meter($2000).

Once you have the equipment it will take you about a year to learn how to start putting out consitant color.

If you are going to do wraps I would suggest training from 3m, or at the very least Justin pate videos.

Also wrap your own vehicle first to make sure you can do it.

Oh ya, you will need a tech at $300 per hour if you are not using the printer everyday. They like to clog up and if you don't have perfect test prints your color will be off.

You can always outsource untill you have the need for your own equipment.

Yes start up costs are high. The learning curve is intense. You will need the printer of coarse(used $7500), a laminator ($4000),

Rip software($4000 and up) an i1 color meter($2000).

Once you have the equipment it will take you about a year to learn how to start putting out consitant color.

If you are going to do wraps I would suggest training from 3m, or at the very least Justin pate videos.

Also wrap your own vehicle first to make sure you can do it.

Oh ya, you will need a tech at $300 per hour if you are not using the printer everyday. They like to clog up and if you don't have perfect test prints your color will be off.

You can always outsource untill you have the need for your own equipment.

i would be happy to print anything you need