dtfastbear

overlaying colors - which should be the top color for this graphic?

For the attached graphic, would you recommend having the WHITE vinyl as the top layer or the BLACK vinyl as the top layer?

My inclination would be to have a white panel with black lettering on top of it to minimize the amount of "double thickness" vinyl that I have to apply.  Much less opportunity for air bubbles between the layers! 

But, just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something obvious, as I'm really new to this.

Cheers!

Dean

post-1815-1298651606807_thumb.jpg

post-1815-12986516085196_thumb.jpg

Guest fivestar

I would cut the black square and then cut the "black lettering" out of the white, reverse weed it and and lay the white on top of the black making the white the top layer.  

I tried the white on black for the attached panel and got a lot air bubbles inside the numbers...  Don't know if that was just how I applied the vinyl or if is was a result of having two layers for most of the panel and those small "holes" in the top layer that cause the bottom layer of vinyl to bunch up when I applied it.

Dean

post-1815-12986516069132_thumb.jpg

post-1815-12986516086102_thumb.jpg

White on the bottom, black on top.  Have you had good results with your application tape, before this try??  Sometimes that can be part of the problem with the bubbles.

Jenny

Honestly, those were the first signs that I tried to apply myself...  I bought some relatively expensive Oracal transfer tape (can't remember if it is medium or high tack).  A couple other variables that could be at play here...

The white vinyl was calendared (Oracal 651) and the black was cast (oracal 851), it was pretty cold out when we put the numbers on the car and we were in a hurry (always bad!) as a race practice session was about to begin :P

Cheers,

Dean

Guest fivestar

Honestly, those were the first signs that I tried to apply myself...  I bought some relatively expensive Oracal transfer tape (can't remember if it is medium or high tack).  A couple other variables that could be at play here...

The white vinyl was calendared (Oracal 651) and the black was cast (oracal 851)

That's why you got alot of bubbles.  Not good to mix cast and calendared together.