I was having problems a couple weeks ago, and on the advice of a user I purchased 60 degree blades and slowed my speed down to 90. Everything was working fine, and I was having no issues with my fine cuts fraying. Well a week goes by, and I have started having issues again, Now instead of them fraying they are sticking to the vinyl, as if they aren't getting thoroughly cut. Before when I would weed I would just slowly peel away around the letters, now I am having to pull out each individual letter from the vinyl! It's taking forever and some letters get ripped in the process.

Why am I having these issues when it was working fine for so long?

I have already tried cleaning the blade, replacing the blade and neither of those have solved the problem.

But I haven't changed since it was working fine before? Is it possible for it to have adjusted on its own?

the blade holder could have raised.... The best way to set your blade is to take the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand cut firmly across a piece of scrap vinyl, You should only be cutting the vinyl, and no mark or barely a mark on wax paper backing, adjust to get there, Put holder back in machine and use the force to get the same results.

I adjusted it only slightly, and it is cutting a lot better, only now it is taking up some of the smaller bits of vinyl with it. (The parts I weed out anyway, and periods.) Out of the two evils though I much prefer this one at least I'm not taking an hour and ripping letters and wanting to flip my desk in anger. Is it possible the reason it's doing this is because it's such a highly detailed decal?

from support,

Material Lifting With Blade

Posted by Howard Irwin on 22 December 2009 12:05 PM

This can be caused by a dull blade, cutting speed too high, too much pressure, trying to cut something too small/intricate or the wrong blade for the job.

If you are doing small/intricate cuts you should use lighter pressure, slower cut speed and a 60 degree blade.

If this is an old blade try replacing it. If you are cutting sign vinyl or heat transfer vinyl you should not need to turn the pressure up higher than 110 to maybe 120.

Most people are able to cut these materials at the standard setting of 100.

Other things that can cause this are a buildup of adhesive and/or vinyl on the blade/holder or too much blade extending outside the blade holder.

That's what I stated in my first post. It was the issue I had to begin with (Except far worse) I am using a 60 degree blade on 90 speed, and it's a brand new blade.I've cleaned it from any adhesive and I know it's not too much blade as I just barely turned it to get it from not cutting.

You didn't state what type of vinyl you were using, but vinyl can make the differences also.

If your needing to cut fine detailed work, you need a higher end cutter. Like a Graphtec, Those lower end cutters, are more for basic cutting. not so much the very detailed work. You will have to spend a lot of time getting those cutters fine tuned in, to cut very detailed work, my 2c

I'm using Oracal 631, for wall decals, and yes that's what I was afraid of! I have n problems with my larger decals, only the small very detailed ones