Sign in to follow this  
bsworks75

Heat Transfer must haves?

I have a vinyl cutter and recently bought a roll of the heat transfer vinyl. I just used my iron to iron the decal on the shirt and it came out nice but started to pull apart from the garment a few washes down the line so I assumed I needed a higher heat like a heat press. So, long story short, I've been looking into buying a heat press but other than the actual heat press is there anything else I NEED to have? There are special papers out there I can use a regular printer to print on and then use the heat press to transfer to a garment correct? But since I have the heat transfer vinyl that's a good start right? Just needing some information so I'm sorry if this is a repeat question :(

yes a heat press i number one tool for shirt,the vinyl another need lol cant do a shirt with out those 2 items, you could iron it on then throw it in the drier for a while that helps

Teflon pillows, small rubber mats like mouse pads, silicone or teflon sheets and a press is a must. Ironing is a temporary attachment procedure.

I would recommend at the minimum a teflon sheet to put over the shirt ,this will reduce the chance of burning the shirt while transferring the vinyl and I would recommend you get a good heat press. It is well worth the investment

I do a lot of t-shirt vinyl, and the things I've found that I can't do without are: a good pick for weeding the vinyl; a good pair of tweezers to help w/weeding when necessary; a couple of the teflon sheets and pads for pressing; a good heat press, and good vinyl. I also have on hand a chalkboard eraser (helps to disapate heat a bit before pulling the carrier sheet off the shirt), and ice water while I'm at the press (either for drinking or for the little scorches I always seem to get!). When I am doing multiple shirts I'll cut them all, then weed them all, and then press them all. After I weed them I turn them right side up and put them on the shiny side of some freezer paper - the carrier will stick to the wax paper enough to protect the vinyl and keep stuff off of the carrier until I'm ready to press (I have a cat, so it's especially useful to keep cat hair off stuff!). This is of course just what I do - hope it helps! B)