Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Heat press recommendations?

I'm just getting ready to dip my toes into the Dye Sub pond and need some suggestions on a decent, starter heat press.

When I dipped my toes into vinyl cutting, I bought an el cheapo vinyl cutter through Sign Warehouse and within a month knew that I wanted to upgrade, which I recently did - and I got a Graphtec CE5000-60 from US Cutter. I don't want to make the same mistake with a heat press - buy a cheap one and regret it real soon - but I also don't want to buy one that is more heat press than I need.

I have a "real" job that pays my bills and everything else I do as part of my hobby/business is just to have fun and possibly make some extra money. I will not be needing anything that lets me do 500 presses a day, or is capable of withstanding a nuclear explosion. Just need something that will allow me to cover most of the variety of dye sub items of various thicknesses, and if it will let me do heat-transfer vinyl (they all will, right?) that's a bonus - but not a necessity. I will probably not be doing more than 10-15 presses a week.

I'm guessing that a swing-away model is more versatile than a clam shell model, at least on what I've read in various forums?

I'd like to keep it in the < $750 range if at all possible. Bells and whistles are nice, but I'd rather have something reliable and sturdy than something with lots of flashly LEDs and doo-dads.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Geo Knight 12" x 14" Jet Press Swinger JP14? I thought I read that Geo Knight was a good brand and that seemed like a decent size and a decent price, but the one review on US Cutter didn't sound very promising.

If not that one, which one(s) would you recommend?