Sign in to follow this  
ljepson74

seeking to expedite flow of creating custom vinyl cuts at trade-show

I am looking for help and/or ideas at streamlining the following flow.

*) we have a bunch of shirts at a trade show

*) we're offering to customize them for the recipients (with name on back, jersey style, in one or more languages)

Flow:

1) Receive a name in English, Russian, (maybe other)

2) Quickly spell their name with software tool (CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape) and output vector-outline-trace (I'm not yet sure of correct term, since we didn't buy the software yet.)

3) Send to vinyl cutter to cut outline of their name to put on back of shirt w/ heat press, sport-jersey style

I envision having 3 ppl man this area. One for computer/vinyl-cutter, one for heat press, and one for weeding and taking names.

If they get swamped with ppl, I'd like them to be able to quickly put a bunch of names thru the process and convert them all at once.

When I watch online videos of how to create something to send to a vinyl cutter, I see a lot of steps involved. I envision 60 ppl per hour stopping by and wanting their shirt customized, but not wanting to wait around for long.

a ) Is there any way in CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, or Inkscape, or other vector graphics program that can output outlines (which I think is what we need) to create a single button that will group a bunch of functionality together.

i.e. the person writes four names, does select-all, gets correct font, does whatever options are needed, export or whatever. I'd like to be able to wrap a bunch of steps into one button. I'd like the user to just be able to list the names and then hit the custom button that would create the file that can be sent to the vinyl cutter.

b ) Does anyone have suggestions for this flow in general?

c ) If this is all I am going to be doing, should I be selecting one of those pieces of software over another? I was looking to buy an older version, just to save $$, and b/c I don't need any fancy features.

d ) with the software packages listed, is it easy to type in foreign fonts? i.e. can I import and use Russian font easily? (I know Russian, but am interested in the technical aspects of typing in Russian or other languages in illustrator, coreldraw, inkscape.)

thanks,

Ljepson

Use SignBlazer. Type in your text and send to cutter. No " output vector-outline-trace" required. It works with all TTF's and it free to download.

Jay

• Like 1

+1 Whatever you type into SignBlazer is cut ready just send it to cutter. JUST REMEMBER TO MIRROR THE IMAGE BEFORE YOU SEND IT

In the third post down on this thread is where to download SignBlazer from.

1. Burn the .iso file to a disk and install SignBlazer.
  2. Unzip the .rar file and install the update then the patch.
  3. You may get virus warnings from the files but they are safe. You may need to turn off you anti-virus sofware during installation.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/20104-full-version-signblazer-download-all-cutters/

Jay

It is going to take more than 3 if your busy. I have done regional High School Sport meets and offering custom shirts will keep you busy, I generally have 5 to 6 staff there and at times it is still not enough. Your slowest point will be the plotter, make sure it will cut extremely fast (like 40 ips) or this is what you will be waiting for. I just use flexi and be done with everything else.

I have a tank of a cutter that will travel and cut at 50 ips. It is extremely fast (as in scary) and still waiting for it.

you will not keep up with 60 people per hour with just 3 of you. I highly doubt you could do 30.

Have a couple people taking orders, one running the computer/cutter. Two weeding and setting/placing designs on the shirts. One pressing.

I count 6 people.

• Like 1

Have a couple people taking orders, one running the computer/cutter. Two weeding and setting/placing designs on the shirts. One pressing.

I count 6 people.

I would have as many people you can fit (and still function) in the space you are renting. Luckily I have a few friends who come and help me and all it costs me is a few beers and cheeseburgers at the end of the day.