Sign in to follow this  
WHATASIZE

So my wife and I live in a little resort town in Oklahoma. We have friends in a town we used to live in that own a sticker and t-shirt shop. They have talked to us about starting a vinyl sticker shop. They have told use that we can probably get everything we need to start with for about $500 bucks. So I was wanting to know if this number is realistic and what is some good advice for cutters and vinyl for newbies wanting to start very small?

Hi there, as you'll quickly realize, this forum has lots of great information, so look around and learn what you can.

Understanding the unique terminology and vocabulary of this craft is an important part of that.

For instance, you may very well discover that having a "Contour cutter" is useful for decal/sticker production.

Also, realizing that all vinyl is not created equally (See: Cast vs. Calendered)

And that only half the battle is the actual cutting itself, because the other half involves the graphics design/software aspect and post-cut production values (weeding, taping, applying to substrates).

Ask focused questions, and the forum regulars will try to assist.

Bon Voyage.

Thank you very much for the info. I am a member of a couple of car forums and that is probably the best introduction into how your forum works that I have seen. Once again thanks for the info and i hope to meet some new people and gain some valuable information.

For $500 you could purchase an inexpensive cutter and the supplies needed to get started. Look at USCutter.com and there are some machines within your budget.

Oh, Welcome!