Sign in to follow this  
dann6968

Not sure if I'm setting up the blade correctly?

Is the blade holder bottom supposed to drag along the vinyl when it cuts? As I understand, I need to back off the threaded cap until the blade only sticks out a half credit card length. When I do this, the cap is screwed so far off only 1 or so threads are holding it on so it wobbles and barely holds on. Blade is fully in. Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks!

can you show a picture of your blade holder? what vinyl cutter? and half a credit card is too much. Should just barely see the tip of the blade. You can take the blade holder in your hand and with alot of pressure, cut a cross a piece of scrap vinyl. it should only cut the vinyl and barely make a mark or no mark on the vinyl backing.

• Like 2

You can take the blade holder in your hand and with a lot of pressure, cut a cross a piece of scrap vinyl. it should only cut the vinyl and barely make a mark or no mark on the vinyl backing.

Wow nice tip never thought of that. Thanks

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

As for the original question I'm at a loss are your blades too long or for a different cutter? Maybe they are not seating all the way in as in something in the holder. Please post a picture. Hope you get it figured out.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Didn't realize until today that I had posted this in the wrong section. I always have too many tbs open. Mods feel free to move this to a place more appropriate.

Ok, so my cutter is a Creation Pcut CT630. Stock blade holder. Blades I use are Roland Blade *60 bought from UScutter. They are the exact same as the ones that came with my cutter. Vinyl is Greenstar as I've been hesitant to purchase anything better until I get this figured out.

Blade sticks out about two credit card lengths. When I back off the front piece (ill call this the cap) to get a good cut like Skeeter mentioned, the cap is so loose that it rocks back and forth a bit (not tight on the threads and o-ring). This in turn seems to dig one side of the cap in scratching the vinyl. Blade seems to be fully inserted as I cant seem to push it any further. Almost seems like the blade is slightly too long.

Are these small scratches normal? I can't imagine a blade holder dragging across the vinyl without marking it??

Sorry for the blurry pictures, they were taken with my phone.

Thanks again,

Dan

c9d1ce99.jpg

cb4614e6.jpg

a2390f6f.jpg

e4666507.jpg

There is a rubber O ring on the blade holder. It should provide resistance that you can loosen the cap far enough so that it doesn't turn by itself when the cutter is running. It may be that you need to replace the O ring.

post-1636-0-71107800-1319483817_thumb.pn

I set my depth with the holder out of the machine. I run the holder across a peice of scrap vinyl with moderate pressure and adjust the blade in until I can only cut through the vinyl. (Not into the backing at all) Then I put the holder back in the machine. Never had an issue with scratch marks from the holder on the vinyl.

I put a small chamfer on my blade holder, then polished with 2000 grit sandpaper to remove all defects and corners from it as I had some marking issues from the holder itself as well.

I polished the holder and no longer have the problem with scratching. Great idea, thanks.

I'll try to find a replacement o-ring but I don't think it will make much of a difference. There seems to be adequate pressure from the o-ring, it just seems as though the tolerances between the threads on the body and cap aren't very good. I might try some teflon tape.

We'll see.