Sign in to follow this  
cutkiller

REALLY NEED HELP

ok, first of all, i have to let you all know that my english is really really bad, and that im really newb at using vinyl cutter. However, im a graphic designer by profession so i have no problem with vectors and illustrator... I bought a uscutter recently and after spending hours on trying to get it cut properly, i have no choice now, i need your HELP!!!! Seriously, you are my only option. It seams that everyone has the same problems with their cutter... Ok so, lets start with the begining. Im using Flexi 7.5 on Mac osx. The software works perfect, for what i know. My problem #1 is that the cutter doesnt completly cut some letter or graphics. Its like the starting point doesnt joint the ending point... i heard that we can fix it by adjusting Cut Offset option. I didnt see any difference, aside that now, the cutter cut extra form or circle into the letter or graphics, and it begin his cutting by doing a small vertical bar and then go up-left to execute the job.... damn. I'm lost. Problem #2 is when i cut small text or letter (helvetica, for exemple) that is a "square" font... it doesnt look "square". It doesnt look perfect, i can see some rounded curve. Same is true with Square or linear graphics... a litle square for exemple 1/2in x 1/2in, will not have perfect square corner... i dont know if you can understand me :S damn with my bad english i cant say what i exactly mean. Well, i have trouble cutting small and thin fonts... Someone here has probably already had this problem before... any advice? if someone could please help me, it will be REALLY appreciate! you can contact me here; v-dub4life@hotmail.com. If you have msn, same add. That cool be great too. Thank to all in advance!!

Welcome cutkiller!

Which cutter do you have?

Please don't post multiple copies of your message. Please post your questions in the topic section that best fits. That way ken won't have to move so many around to the right category.  :thumbsup:

Thanks dude. I was not sure in which forum to post it... I bought it on ebay 1 year ago, its a uscutter, master serie, 24inch. It is beige! hehehe i think its the XY-300P or something like that.

I'm pretty new here so I'm not sure what the master series is these days. I'm assuming you have checked your blades? Have you run the test pattern stored in the cutter?

Yes i checked the blade.. but i did not cut a lot of decals actually. Maybe 25-30.. How long a blade will last btw? and yes i made a test cut.

Is your carriage on track?

Have you tried cutting different files or just one?

Is your plotter grounded?

Carriage's on track. I've tried many different file. I also tryed to copy paste vector in Flexi (is that correct, btw?). Not sure to understant what you mean by grounded. He is on a stand.

Tomorrow im gonna do some different job, of different size, take some pictures and post it here... ill aslo include original vector images to compare.

Tomorrow im gonna do some different job, of different size, take some pictures and post it here... ill aslo include original vector images to compare.

That would be great!

Once there was somebody having a hard time cutting a decla and the problam was the file itself.

I would like to see your carriage too. If possible post a pic of it.

I dont have the same cutter as you but Ill try to help as much as I can.

Joe

Thanks jo. Thats really appreciate. Like i said before, in new to cutting vinyl, but im in the graphic design market since 7 years. I doubt that the problem could be my files. I save all my .eps in illustratior 7 files. Flexi 7.5 doesnt not accept version 8 or above. And is it correct to copy paste a vector directly into Flexi, or i should always use import files?

This is my question and answer I got a couple days ago. Hope it helps.

Hello Jerry,

I have posted this a million times and still users change the offset away from what is on the blade box,

If you do this of course you will have

my test cuts the corners which should be square are a little round.

In weeding the cutter does not make a complete cut but leaves a mi-nute tip which in small lettering is enough to wreck a letter.

I have this annoying disturbance on larger letters and can't seem to get rid of it.

Incorrect offset is the problem.

Use what is on the box and NEVER touch it.

Jerry.,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have used three types of vinyl and although I know about blade pressures, angle etc. I can't solve this one.

Right now I am using a three ply vinyl and have my speed at 80. I have reduced speed and see no difference.

I have my cutter blade offset at 0.40 which should be more than enough to even over cut.

Pressure is at 110.

I do notice on my test cuts the corners which should be square are a little round.

In weeding the cutter does not make a complete cut but leaves a mi-nute tip which in small lettering is enough to wreck a letter.

I have this annoying disturbance on larger letters and can't seem to get rid of it. Suggestions?

Martin

Thanks jo. Thats really appreciate. Like i said before, in new to cutting vinyl, but im in the graphic design market since 7 years. I doubt that the problem could be my files. I save all my .eps in illustratior 7 files. Flexi 7.5 doesnt not accept version 8 or above. And is it correct to copy paste a vector directly into Flexi, or i should always use import files?

I have the same version of Flexi that you do. I can do it either way...import or copy and paste. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Also im using a 45 degree blade that comes with de plotter. Does a 60 degree blade may help with thin letter ? Is there someone who can do perfect cuts with his uscutter?:thumbsup:? no imperfection on small or thin letter... no uncutted gap between starting and ending point?:D im about to throw it away.

Guest sciondrgn

I have a 36in Pcut and I Ive cut 1/4in letters with no problems, Im using the standard 45 degree blade with a 0.25 offset

sciondrgn, which font? I have no trouble cutting some script font or non square graphics because the imperfection are not visible. On the other side, the problem is with square font and straight line, imperfection are more visible.

Can someone try to cut this logo in 6 inches wide, and let me know if everything goes right. I noticed my problems with this logo. The italy word is really thin, and i cant get a perfect look. Here is the logo; http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/39392176/73692.html

Thanks!

Here is another point. I always cuts on a 24" wide vinyl. I dont know how you call this part in english (the vinyl holder), but i always hold the vinyl from his edge.... even when i cut 4" graphics.. is that corect, or i should bring the left holder closer to the right one??? Is this may cause the distortion in my small or thin letter??? We seriously need a thread with all issues.. im about to do it hehehe. later!

Guest sciondrgn

Larger rolls 15-24 I use the right side of the machine and smaller rolls on the left for me.

I can try cutting that when I get home later this evening

What i meant is, when you cut small decals (let says 6 in wide) on a 24 wide vinyl, do you hold your vinyl from the edges? or you bring your left holder in the middle of your vinyl to hold it more tightly?

Guest sciondrgn

I use 3 pinch rollers when using my 24in rolls regardless of what I cut. Both Edges and Middle

OH YEAH!!!! Apparently, everyone use an offset setup of0.025, but it wasnt working for me. I've tried many diffrent value, and i found that 0.015 works perfect!!! Small and thin letter are now very similar of what they should look. But now i have other issues. The cutter is doing a small vertical line cut before going up left and execute the main job... This line isnt in my graphics or vector at all. anyone know whats the problem?:thumbsup:? What may cause this? THANKS!!!!!!!!! im so close.

This happened to me for not grounding my plotter correctly. Do you have a black wire conected from the cutter to the stand?

Guest sciondrgn

My pcut did not have any kind of ground strap with it.

Try reseating your blade and make sure there is no vinyl stuck up in the blade holder as well. Need to make sure the blade can spin freely inside the blade holder