Sign in to follow this  
TomasB

Vehicle stripes

I just received a possible order from a customer to make racing stripes and I have no experience at making pinstripes for cars/trucks etc.

Is there any easy way to do this. Sorry for sounding like a re-noobie!

But if you can point me in the right direction I appreciate it. I design with inkscape & corel X3 & cut with SignCut.

Thanking you in advance,

Tomas

I just received a possible order from a customer to make racing stripes and I have no experience at making pinstripes for cars/trucks etc.

Is there any easy way to do this. Sorry for sounding like a re-noobie!

But if you can point me in the right direction I appreciate it. I design with inkscape & corel X3 & cut with SignCut.

Thanking you in advance,

Tomas

If you take the job CHARGE PLENTY!! the first one will probably take you lots of wasted vinyl and lots of goof ups and do overs.

If somebody tells you an easy way - and it works - clue me in will ya?

The stripes across the hood and roof are the easiest - except for compound curve near the front of the hood. I like to leave a reveal at the front and back of both the hood and the roof - takes a good pattern to get it to look right. I cut and tried and marked and adjusted the vector file until I got what I wanted.

Not as good, but easier to do is to wrap at the front and rear of the hood and to tuck the ends into the weatherstripping at the front and back of the roof.

The bumpers and trunk lid and spoiler and airdam/groundeffects are more fun- lots of changes in angles and compound curves everywhere - good chance you'll go nuts!!

I don't make any cuts on the car - with practice and a steady hand it's possible to trim the vinyl while on the car without cutting into the paint - I ain't that good so I don't do it that way.

One other thought - using cast vinyl makes it easier to mold to compound curves than if you use cast vinyl.

I also do my applications wet - and I use some heat to help form around curves and work out any "fingers" in the material.

Good luck!!

BTW what kind of car are you thinking about doing?

-Mike