steve

Interested in purchasing a cutter, Which one?

Hi everybody, I'd like to purchase a cutter. I've decided I like the 12" model, but I would like to know if there is any reason I should get the 25". I will only be making small decals so if the larger model isn't of higher quality or with more features, I don't see any point in buying it.

I unfortunately entered a lower bid amount than I intended to and was outbid on the last 12" model on eBay, so I figured before I shop around some more I would like to see what you folks have to say.  I'm currently looking at the roland stika sv-8 because with there no longer being any of the refine models on ebay, I would have to order from the US cutter direct website, and then prices are comparable. I would love to wait until another appears on ebay because I was only outbid by $5 on the last one, but I will be making my purchase before the end of the week so that isn't an option. With the prices being the same, would it be worth it for me to buy the refine cutter over the roland? I'm attracted by the USB plug-n-play and the illustrator plug-in that comes with the roland, but turned off by the 8" size..

One last thing, what is the maximum cutting length on the 12" model? Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

I dont know what the cutting length is of the 12 inch... I dont even know anyone who has one.

I believe the quality with the 12 inch machine and the 24 inch machine are the same.  However, I dont think that you get a stand with the 12, I know that you do with the 25 incher.  My recommendation, get the 24 inch refine.  You can do a whole lot more with it.  Once you get established, people will want more or bigger stickers, and it comes with a stand too.

As with the 12 inch, i dont know where or who has a readily avalible stock of that width... You would most likely have to purchase the 24 inch roll and have it slit for it to fit the machine anyways.

I had a sticka... The 15 inch model...  I can tell you one thing, it was quiet, but it sure was SLOW!.  If you have ever seen a sticka in action, you will be very impressed with the refines speed.

The refine uses roland blades too, avaliable at virtualy all sign shops.

Thanks for the info. The stand was an attractive part of the larger model. I'm planning on doing mostly small stuff for myself and members of my car club. I did not realize it would be difficult to find 12" rolls, but now that I look I see your point. That's unfortunate because I'll have to buy rolls larger than what I need either way, and that will mean an investment that I may not get back.

Did you say Car Club? Do you know what Car Club people do when they find out you have a cutter? They want graphics for their cars,logos and lettering for their show boards they use at the car shows and heat transfer vinyl printed shirts of their Car Club Logos.And,once you start doing the designs on your cutter,you are going to want to do bigger designs than 12".In the long run I think you would be happier with a 25".You can use 15" rolls as well as the 24".And you cancut your smaller decals you want,and do the larger graphics for the Car Clubs V-hickles and show boards.You could probably make enough money off of a good t-shirt order to pay for a 25" in one order if it was a large club.Jm2c.

Does anybody know if they're going to offer the 12" models on eBay any more? I haven't seen any more listed yet. I'd love to buy the 24", but I really can't afford to spend much more than $300.

Well, I guess you folks will be seeing a lot more of me now. I just bought the 24" model and I have no idea what I'm doing so I'll need some guidance. Now I'll have to go find that link I saw about free vinyl samples!

currently i am using roland GX-24

think its too small for my part time vehicle graphic business so i invested in a 50' uscutter

for the 24in cutter my sticker comes in roll of 48 to 50 in

i need to put on my floor and cut into half which took up many of my time tt why i purchase a uscutter think i will save much more time by just leave the whole roll of sticker on the roller instead of cutting into half all the time  ;D

We will be selling the 12"s again soon.......just out of stock currently.

We will be selling the 12"s again soon.......just out of stock currently.

That's good to know. I'm sure some people will be looking for them. My 24" came on Monday and I'm really glad I got it. I got a really good deal too. Much less than the others went for on eBay.