Censored

Newbie help please!

Hey guys I need to get a vinyl cutter for a web only store I want to setup. I will be selling just text slogan stickers, maybe a few graphics, but nothing more than 8 or 9 inches long. I was originally thinking about getting a silhouette sd, but I found this forum and saw that some of the bigger models might be in my range. I want to try to stay around $400 with some startup vinyl. I found the beginners thread here recommending the PCut. Will that be good for what I'm doing? Also a guy locally has a ProCut CR630 with vinyl for $350. Is that a good deal and a good cutter? Last question... I know you can cut from illustrator, but are there plugins for these cutters to cut directly from Photoshop? Thanks.

Jeff

A warranty & support makes new worth the difference

Wouldn't have thought you can cut from Photoshop as it can't handle vector graphics. I generally save as a jpeg from Photoshop, vectorise in Inkscape and then cut with SIgnBlazer.

I wish you all the best with your venture, but believe me, you will never get rich doing small decals online, there is just too much competition on the likes of eBay and eBid. It seems the World and it's brother has a cutter now! ;D

Ok, thanks guys. That's a good point about the warranty. Looks like I will try to go for a PCut. As far as the site goes, it is going to be a very narrow crowd, so it's not something you see on eBay or 100 other sites. Not trying to get rich anyways, just make a few bucks in school. I'll post up the site one I get it running.

You can vectorize in Photoshop easly, but you cant cut from it. Photoshop will export it as a eps file too.

I started out with a laserpoint (which is a Pcut with a laser, also a model CR630!) and it did me well. Within 8 months of cutting I had the money to buy a graphtec. Wish you the best in your ventures. Cricut and silhouette cutters out there make it hard for people to buy what they can make themselves.