Meaty Okra

So how do YOU get vinyl jobs?

Hello all, I've got a lot of experience with vinyl work having worked in a couple of larger, established sign shops, making and designing all kinds of signs. I am a trained/practiced graphic designer as well.

However, a businessman is what I am not. In the span of about 4 weeks, I've sold and completed 3 jobs, one of them was a repeat from the same customer. All sales have been a product of "door knocking", or hoofing it from door to door in shopping centers, passing out flyers and business cards pitching my services. I have 2 pieces of .090 clear plexi with samples on them tucked professionally into a 24"x36" artist's portfolio, for visuals. This method works, but only about 1 out of 15-20 times. I have a rickety system in place, borrowing bits of knowledge and what I've learned from the other sign shops. I realize that the system will come together with time. I have everything I need for small vinyl sign production. I just need work.

So my questions for you guys that successfully work for yourselves are,

1. How did you get started?
  2. How do you get jobs?
  3. Who do you talk to or where do you go to find out about bidding on jobs?
  4. If advertising is helpful, what avenues do you use?
  5. Would you be willing to share the way your system works with me? (meaning the way you do things, the steps you take from concept to completion to archiving jobs and finally, dealing with the tax man)

I realize I may be asking a lot, but I'm sure someone out there wouldn't mind sharing some useful info, eh??

Hello all, I've got a lot of experience with vinyl work having worked in a couple of larger, established sign shops, making and designing all kinds of signs. I am a trained/practiced graphic designer as well.

However, a businessman is what I am not. In the span of about 4 weeks, I've sold and completed 3 jobs, one of them was a repeat from the same customer. All sales have been a product of "door knocking", or hoofing it from door to door in shopping centers, passing out flyers and business cards pitching my services. I have 2 pieces of .090 clear plexi with samples on them tucked professionally into a 24"x36" artist's portfolio, for visuals. This method works, but only about 1 out of 15-20 times. I have a rickety system in place, borrowing bits of knowledge and what I've learned from the other sign shops. I realize that the system will come together with time. I have everything I need for small vinyl sign production. I just need work.

So my questions for you guys that successfully work for yourselves are,

1. How did you get started?
  2. How do you get jobs?
  3. Who do you talk to or where do you go to find out about bidding on jobs?
  4. If advertising is helpful, what avenues do you use?
  5. Would you be willing to share the way your system works with me? (meaning the way you do things, the steps you take from concept to completion to archiving jobs and finally, dealing with the tax man)

I realize I may be asking a lot, but I'm sure someone out there wouldn't mind sharing some useful info, eh??

Its not as easy as it sounds sometimes to get started..Lots of competition out here in the real world...

1: Knocking on doors and talking to everone is the only way to get started in my op from scratch..

2:Make your prices resonable and give over and above great and quality services..Go the extra mile..give the customer a reason to use you over your competitors..

3:Talk to everyone that could be a possible customer, shop your services to everyone you meet..If your standing in line at Mcy D's there is a possible customer next to you..

4:Word of mouth is your best advertising..Give great pricing and go above and beyond your business will grow..Remember you can go up in pricing once you have built your business ..it's very hard to go down after you bid a job and didn't get it..DON'T price yourself out of business..Like someone who claims to sell $50 dollar glass bar mugs.>DON'T be rediculous in your pricing..Not only will you not be in business but other will laugh at you not with you!!

5:All of the above is my system and how it works..As far as the tax man..Make them your friends not you foes..Treat them with respect and it will always work in the long run..

Keep all your jobs in several places as not to lose them for repeat business..If you lose the job it makes you look unprofessional tot he customer thats repeating something for you to ask for it again..If you can't keep up make sure you have a partner to outsource your over flow with..That way you can always get the jobs out in a timely manner..

Do whats right and give a fair price with quality service..Others will pay a little more to get better service than a competitor..Just don't get greedy and price yourself out of business before you start..

Goog luck

stetson5331

I gave away personal stuff to acquaintances , like decals with people's names on them made out of specialty vinyl . The people were impressed ( partially because it was free :) ) & told others ( partially because of loyalty ) ) , they wanted stuff & I gained business . Nothing major , but as long as business increases .

Stet , GREAT advice & I think I know who your " partner " is .... :D:bear::bear:

Its not as easy as it sounds sometimes to get started..Lots of competition out here in the real world...

1: Knocking on doors and talking to everone is the only way to get started in my op from scratch..

2:Make your prices resonable and give over and above great and quality services..Go the extra mile..give the customer a reason to use you over your competitors..

3:Talk to everyone that could be a possible customer, shop your services to everyone you meet..If your standing in line at Mcy D's there is a possible customer next to you..

4:Word of mouth is your best advertising..Give great pricing and go above and beyond your business will grow..Remember you can go up in pricing once you have built your business ..it's very hard to go down after you bid a job and didn't get it..DON'T price yourself out of business..Like someone who claims to sell $50 dollar glass bar mugs.>DON'T be rediculous in your pricing..Not only will you not be in business but other will laugh at you not with you!!

5:All of the above is my system and how it works..As far as the tax man..Make them your friends not you foes..Treat them with respect and it will always work in the long run..

Keep all your jobs in several places as not to lose them for repeat business..If you lose the job it makes you look unprofessional tot he customer thats repeating something for you to ask for it again..If you can't keep up make sure you have a partner to outsource your over flow with..That way you can always get the jobs out in a timely manner..

Do whats right and give a fair price with quality service..Others will pay a little more to get better service than a competitor..Just don't get greedy and price yourself out of business before you start..

Goog luck

stetson5331

Thanks for the insight Steson, There is some really good info there. I read and reread your answers several times. When you mentioned "Keep all your jobs in several places..." Do you mean physically? i.e. store job files off site on a remote server? Yes, I had planned on making backups on a remote server once I get things rolling. It's on the infinite to-do list. heh.

Here's another question for you guys, What are your opinions on having "sales reps", in other words offering friends, family members and eventually acquaintances a percentage of profits from a job once they've brought you a lead and the job is complete? Does anyone do this on a small scale?

At any rate, I guess the best thing to do in that respect is just to create a buzz, talk to people and get people talking.

Also, you mentioned having a partner to outsource work to. I'm very interested in how this works, the technical bits and all, because I would love to be able to offer digital print services to prospective clients. If you could please explain more about this, that would be great.

As far as providing superior service goes, I go by the golden rule... Treat others the way you want to be treated. I love good deals, and I love getting good service along with a good deal, so I think it's only right that I provide the same. In my unofficial market analysis of my area, I've phoned the "competition" commonly found on craigslist, talked to people about their prices and all that jazz; I'm also paying close attention to the way they do business, i.e. how they answer their phone, the way they talk to me (as if i were a customer) and so on. I notice who uses templates for their websites and who builds them from scratch, I notice their grammar and spelling. In all of my research, I've found a fair amount of people out there that don't take their businesses as seriously as they should.

Thanks again,

-Meaty

I agree on the not taking business as seriously as they should and thats where I step in and take their business and wow the customer they had..I am the kind of person that goes to my family doctor and while seeing the doctor I start talking about what I do and come out of the exam with a new customer and now I do printing for the doctor..I go to the grocery store and find new clients in the deli while getting my lunch..It's a very simple question that seems to elude most anyone these days..Look at the person in line with you while waiting and ask them "what do you do here in town?"..You will be surprised alot of times other than getting a dirty look, you might be in line witha general manager, office manager or bank president..Then strike up a conversation, give a brief idea of what you can do for them..Make a contact that you meet with later..It's a simple as that.>The worst customer you can have is the one you didn't ask the question of is what do you do ??

On the partner note..I have partners..(AND NO ROGER NOT UP NORTH PARTNERS ;D )

That can help in what I do at wholesale prices..IT"S not what you know it's who you know in this business..I do alot of wholesale printing here for others on the forum that don't have digital printing means..I also know of a few others that I send work to here when I either can't do it or need an extra printer to help out..We are all on the same page and around the same pricing..I have also partnered with a local print shop to do all the paper printing that I don't do myself..Even though I am a print shop there is stuff I don't do here in house..Just like print shops don't always do everthing they sell to you in house...Network anytime you get with others in business.I have a customer which is a competitor car wrap business that her printers down and she prints her stuff on my machine..She brings her own material and I charge her a per sq foot price..We both make money...Like I say it's not what you know it's who you know..When I need a car wrap installed I sell her services and I pocket the profit as well...

Network everywhere you go, sell your services any and evrywhere..My wife hates to shop with me due to the fact everywhere I go I shop my services to everyone..Everyones a potential customer and a future customer...I sell business card to car salesman while test driving cars..I sell banner to banks while applying for a loan..It's easy to say, shop yourself because no one knows your business like you do..NO one cares lke you do about your business..

If you need a digital printing partner PM me your info and we can talk about what I can help you out with..See how easy it is to partner with someone to offer something you can't??

good luck in your venture

stetson5331

More good info Stetson, thanks. I'd like to PM you for some more particulars. I have all kinds of questions about print.

-MO

Network everywhere you go, sell your services any and evrywhere..My wife hates to shop with me due to the fact everywhere I go I shop my services to everyone..Everyones a potential customer and a future customer...

My wife and kids HATE to go anywhere with me. They roll their eyes and say "There goes dad again with the sales pitch..." I am selling my business 24 hours a day to anyone I can strike up a conversation with. If people don't know you exist, how you can you expect them to buy your products and/or services.

I also outsource many of the products I offer. Half of my sales are for things that I buy from other businesses and then resell. My favorite line is "Sure, we do that..."

My wife and kids HATE to go anywhere with me. They roll their eyes and say "There goes dad again with the sales pitch..." I am selling my business 24 hours a day to anyone I can strike up a conversation with. If people don't know you exist, how you can you expect them to buy your products and/or services.

I also outsource many of the products I offer. Half of my sales are for things that I buy from other businesses and then resell. My favorite line is "Sure, we do that..."

:thumbsup: +1 on the words..It's not what you know it's who you know..If you can't do the complete customer job...KNOW someone that can help..If not why give the business to someone else!!!

Keep it up XLII let me know if I can help you out in any way...

stetson5331