Sign in to follow this  
go hodags

Using registered trademarks, etc

I am new to this business and wondering what the general policy is if someone wants a popular logo made.  Take for instance the honda logo up on another forum currently or any of the logos downloadable at brandsoftheworld.com.  My first thought is that they are not usable without permission, but it seems as they are too readily available if they are not supposed to be used?  Just wondering in case I come across that situation. 

Thanks,

Bart

I believe the person you are making it for needs to have the rights to use the logo. Like if you were to use the Honda logo for a banner at a Honda dealership.

100% correct. Some logos  products carry implied rights,which means if you sell the product you have the right to display the logo. If some guy walks into your shop and wants a sign with a logo on it ,do it. If he wants you to make something with a logo for him to sell, don't do it. Using the logo for profgit is what will get the copywrite owner on your tail.

Bannerjohn, by you selling that person the sign with the logo on it aren't you profiting from it? Don't you need to know that the person you are selling to has the rights to use the logo first? And even then don't you need permission form the logo owner to use it in the first place?

perhaps. But I am providing a service,making a sign. The profit is in the sign,not the logo. Now if I was making logos and selling them,I would be making profit from the logo itself.

I do a lot of banners and have yet to have anyone ask me to make a sign with a particular logo that they didn't have the rights to use. For instance,if you are an affiliate realtor with ReMax,then they have the right to use the logo.

Copyright Laws very from country to country.

However there are two companies that it is wise never to use their logos or characters unless you have written permission from the companies themselves.  These two companies are the most aggressive protectors of copyright in the world.

They will persue even the smallest business to bankruptcy.

Who are they?

Harley Davidson and Disney.

After all i cannot blame them as this is the sole source of income.

Harley?  They told me that it cost more to make a bike that what they sell it for and 90% of their income is from merchandising the name and logo.

For Aussies who read this, this is how the law works here.

To cut a logo or copyrighted material you MUST have written permission or pay a copyright fee to the owner.

You can cut any logo and display it where the general public cannot see it. (eg, in your home or office perhaps).

You cannot sell it for profit without paying a fee or having written permission.

If a shop owner sells a product and wants you to cut the logo of the product then having written permission from the shop owner is invalid.

You need it from the copyright owner.

You must be very careful about this.

There are many who sell logos on eBay.

it is only a matter of time until they get nailed.

They come and go as we have seen.

The only gray area is when you give the digital logos away for free.

This is why

www.brandsoftheworld.com

are still around.

Trusts this helps

Jerry from SignBlazer.

I knew about harley and disney.  Personally, I don't believe the claim by harley, but thats not the point of this thread.  thanks for the advise all, anyone else have an opinion?