lsmithctr

Laserpoint stopping mid project

I am trying to cut a small project and my laserpoint cutter is just stopping mid project. I am using Signblazer. I hook it up to my laptop with a usb cable. It will cut a bit and then stop. I will turn it off and back on and move the starting point and start it again and it will stop every single time and the machine will say "waiting". Sometimes it will get a whole line in and some times one letter. It is very weird. I have been using this without any problems for over a year. I recently got a new laptop and had to reinstall Signblazer so I don't know if it is a sign blazer problem(maybe I haven't set it up right?) or a laserpoint problem, but I have a big job due this weekend and a machine that is not working!! Any help would be much appreciated!

Your best bet is to get a "Keyspan" usb-db9 adapter. The LaserPoints are notorious for having straight usb connection problems that are immediately alleviated by an adapter. I actually have a Belkin, but if you are using Windows 7 drivers are hard to find.

One thing you can do is load up a large sheet of paper and the pen tool with the LP disconnected from the computer, hit the online button so you see your x/y reference numbers, then hit mode until you see TEST... then hit online again.... The cutter will then plot a predetermined 'Test' layout to make sure its not the cutter itself...

Then I would get a serial to USB adapter... keyspan or otherwise. Mine I got the one radioshack sells for 40$... works just fine for me and it seems to be decent quality- plus if it goes bad you can always exchange or return to eliminate that problem... Locally.

Does it only happen on this one design? Other art works? Static? Blade sharp? Care to post a sample of what you are trying to cut?