Sign in to follow this  
rose

Sign Vinyl

I purchased some sign vinyl from Ebay and some of it cuts fine but some don't.  Some of the vinyl cuts all the way through the backing.  Is this maybe just some bad vinyl or are there some adjustments I need to make before cutting?  I got it really cheap so I don't know - may be a case of you get what you pay for!!

I am doing some corregated plastic campaign yard signs but I ordered my vinyl from Specialty Graphics Supply for this job so I am hoping I don't have this problem with that viny.  It is Calendered vinyl 5 year. 

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Rose

Guest sciondrgn

Thats an adjustment on your cutter, Check your blade depth along with your pressure settings and lower them down until you get good cuts,

Different brands will have different thickness to them and you need to make slight adjustments occasionally to compensate.

Exactly. I use mostly FDC but when I use a different brand, I always use the 'test' feature on the cutter to make a tiny test cut,adjusting the force until it cuts right.

One thing I should say, the thickness of the vinyl has nothing to do with the quality.

I adjust the depth with the blade holder out of the cutter. I adjust so that when I run it over the vinyl on a cut pad it will only cut through the vinyl. Then I put it in the cutter and adjust the pressure.

I don't mean to appear totally ignorant - but...........I guess I am on this subject  HA!!!  So much to learn!!

I have not messed with pressure settings at all so I don't know where to begin to adjust them.  Can you explain it to me?  

You all are such great help and I would never have been able to do what I have so far if it wasn't for this forum and all of you who offer your help.  Thanks so much!

Rose

what model cutter do you have? All are basically the same but the steps are not always the same.

Bannerjohn, I have the Pcut laserpoint 24"

sorry for the delay but I've been out of pocket with family member in the hospital

thanks again for your help.

Rose

Look in the manual that came with your cutter, it tells you how there. Learn to use it, Theres nothing worse than to forget to reset deep cut settings and put in a 2mil vinyl and make confetti out of it.

Been there, done it.

Someone who has that model will have to tell you how to adjust the force. I have 2 cutters and each one has a different way of doing it. In the refine,the very first screen you see when you turn it on is the speed and force. You just use the arrows to adjust.

Hit the line button(upper right button of the four) to the XY setting. then hit the mode button until it reads "Pressure." then hit your + or- button (lower right) to adjust pressure. Hit mode until the XY setting show up. Hit test. redue if needed.