Sign in to follow this  
BossThinksImWorking

Vinyl not sticking to application tape

Every now and then, I cut something that just won't lift with application tape. When looking for answers, I've been told it might be the application tape, wrong pressure on cutter, or even humidity. Maybe those are factors at times, but after a little experimenting this morning, I can state beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's none of the above this time.

Using the same pressure settings, the same roll of tape, and of course, the weather/humidity is the same, I got the same results with a roll of black, Oracal, 631 vinyl when I cut 2 of the same item; almost impossible to lift.

So, I changed one thing: used a different roll of Oracal, black, 631, and it lifts perfectly! It is definitely the vinyl.

Both rolls of vinyl were bought within the past few weeks and both have been stored in the same location, so it has to be the vinyl. Makes no sense, but at least I know it's not something I'm doing wrong.

I have noticed that some vinyls need higher tack tape. I can't use anything but high tack on most Matte vinyls for some reason.

I don't have an idea as to why you're having the different results. However, we had the problem with the Oracal 631 (Indoor Removable) not sticking to our transfer tape. I think we were originally using a Perfect Tear item from Fellers. Then we looked around these forums as well as some others and found that there is a specific transfer tape intended for this vinyl. http://www.oracal.com/products/product.asp?seriesID=239

The HT55 Oratape has worked excellent for us thus far. I believe we found it available at signwarehouse.com

http://sign-supplies.signwarehouse.com/search/index?query=HT55

I would recommend doing a few searches on the product to get a better idea if it will help you out, but it's worked excellent for us. Good luck!