OK i was given an MH871 from work. They got a new better one and i got to take this one. When i cut, no matter at what pressure, the blades skims the surface and slightly cuts the vinyl on passes(when it should be moving to the next cut spot, not actually cutting.) i'm leaning toward getting a new blade carriage but thought i would see if anyone had experienced this other than me. Thanks in advance for any help.

when the machine is off, can you easily move the cutter up and down?

then, when you power it up, does the cutter immediately raise, and then stay raised?

could very well be the z-chip

This chip controls the up/down motion of the carriage arm. If your carriage arm is no longer moving up/down then you will want to first call our support department to confirm that the issue is being caused by the chip, but this will most likely be the part that you need.

imo, id try to call support and see if they have any other tests to try out, there is still the possibility that its the solenoid in the caridge, or even a loose wire going between them. they may be able to help you rule that out.

from another post

you can submit a ticket to support, also read this from another post

We call it the 'Z' axis chip because it is the one responsible for raising and lowering the carriage arm. It's really only the MH cutters that have 'Z' chip issues and typically it's static interference that does them in. If you're having issues with your carriage arm and blade not dropping to your vinyl, or staying dropped and not raising; you'll know if the chip has failed by performing these tests:

1 - Turn the cutter off and unplug it from the wall. Remove the carriage cover (three screws) and get yourself a nine volt battery. You want to touch the terminals of the battery to the two solder points above the carriage motor (or to the copper ribbons). Don't worry about doing this wrong, you can't hurt anything. If you're able to get a good connection you will see the carriage arm "jump" and either raise or lower depending on which terminals you're touching. If you aren't sure if you're getting a good connection, try using a couple paperclips; hold them to the terminals on the battery, and touch them to the solder points. If it does jump, then you know the carriage electro-magnet is good. Now, is power getting from the Motherboard to the motor? step 2.

2 - Plug the cutter back in and turn it on. Pay close attention to the carriage arm; is it up, down, or somewhere in the middle? Turn the machine off. there should be a change; ie: the arm should drop. Then turn the machine on and observe again. ... what you're looking for is the carriage arm to raise and lower with the power switch action. It should move only about an 1/8th of an inch; up with the power on, down with the power off. What this tells us is whether or not we're getting power sent from the motherboard, up the connecting wires to the electro-magnet that raises and lowers the blade arm.

If it doesn't move at all after Step 2: You should call technical support and we'll walk you through one last test. You do not have power getting from the mother board to the carriage motor. At this point we can deduce that A) The connecting cable supplying the power has failed or has a bad connection... which is possible but not likely considering the machine. Or ;) The Z chip is toast because of static electricity. If the arm does move up and down with the power switch: it is definitive- your Z chip is toast.

If you do call to order another Z chip (which we sell) please, ground the machine before you install it or you risk this happening again. Oh, and FYI: if you put the Z chip in backwards (50/50 chance) you will burn it and potentially ruin the Motherboard as well; so call technical support first. Cheers!