Sign in to follow this  
Moms Signs

Will It Work?

I am just starting out so this may be a real basic question.  I have been using an arts and crafts type of stencil maker to cut out stencils of sayings and quotes.  I then use the stencils to paint on wooden signs.  I have been using 8.5 mil polyethylene with a light adhesive backing.  Would the 25" Pcut be a good cutter for this type of application?  I don't have need (at least for now) for a lot of graphics, just words.  Is the software easy to learn for this type of application?

Your advice would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

I can't comment on the material in question... but as far as learning how to use the software, is a piece of cake. In the amount of time that it takes me to type out this reply... you could open SignBlazer, type a quote, and have it sent to the cutter.

Guest Terry

I think you may want to buy paint mask vinyl.

Do you re-use your stencils or is it onetime only? The paint mask is good for one time only but will not be good for re-use. It sounds like your material can be used over and over. Does your polyethylene come with a backing paper?

Guest Terry

I wonder the same thing, I have mylar stencils I use for airbrush and you can buy mylar sheets to hand cut your own, but will the cutter work - or just kind of keep shoving to the side and get bound up when the blade tries to cut it.

Thanks for the feedback.  As for the polyethylene, it comes with a backing paper and is reusable.  I am still wondering if it will cut on the machine.

If you could mail me a piece I would be willing to try it on my machine.

I have cut polyurethane with our cutters, no problem. Similar to cutting sandblast resist.

Sorry.. question ...

polyethylene = polyurethane :lol: