Sign in to follow this  
nickgibson

Installing USB Drivers

I bought an MH 721 plotter and I know this question has been answered a few times on this forum, but all of the answers don't seem to work for me.  I have a new Compaq laptop running Windows XP Home Edition.  After a few hours, I did get the plotter to work.  Now I have a new HP Laptop running Windows XP Media Center and I cannot get the USB drivers to work.  I have spent a lot of time trying to get this to work, and I have a lot of computer experience, but it does not seem to recognize the plotter.  I have even tried connecting it through the serial and parallel ports on my desktop computer and it doesn't work.  I do not know what to do now.  If anyone has an idea I appreciate the help.

Thanks Nick

The mistake most people make with the USB setup is not assigning the port number to 1-4 in the device manager and matching that number in Signcut. You can adjust this in device manager; just follow the instructions on the setup sheet or in the sticky post under this category. You might also verify you have the driver setup correctly as Refine MH EH 721 in Signcut. If you are still having problems then email me so we can go over some more steps.

I got tired of trying to get the somewhat not reliable USB conversion drivers to work for my computer.  It never worked and I don't think it could ever work (at least on this computer).  So what I did, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, was bought a USB to Serial Dongle (Cable).  It cost about $30.00 at Staples.  I plugged it in loaded the drivers disk that cam with it, and everything worked perfectly.  The cutter worked in about 2 minutes, rather than the hundreds of hours I spent trying to get the included software to work (at least it seemed like hundreds of hours.)  I can cut with Corel Draw, Word, Adobe Illustrator or any other program I can use to creat the pictures, or text.  Thanks anyways for your help Marcel. ;D

Great news- glad to hear your issue was resolved. We have added a NEW updated USB to Serial driver for refine cutters with Windows on our USCutter.com web site. It is self extracting and easy to install and has already solved a few issues I have come across with computer to cutter communications.

I am running XP on a laptop with USB ports only. Since I can't select "Ports" in my Device Manager, how do I get the cutter and laptop to talk to each other? SignBlazer 6.0.17 has an update, but they released it in a full install only (I can't do TWO installs apparently).

If I have to get a USB/Serial adapter, I will, but it would be nice if I can get this to work.  I have some other issues with the software (can't import AI files)...do you know if I can cut directly from AI CS?

Thanks for your time,

Rob

If you do not have a Ports category in your device manager, the driver has not been found and/ or installed properly. Shoot me a PM with your number and a good time to call for some troubleshooting.