Sign in to follow this  
xpfguy

something is WRONG, weeding nightmare

I am attaching the file.

First problem might be I am trying 24" 3M Controltac for the first time with my Graphtec cutter.

I have adjusted blade and pressure and switched between 45 and 60 degrees. I have wasted about 3 yards.

The weird thing is that the vinyl/cast seems to be cut but the adhesive is sticking across the cut from the weed to the keep?

Any suggestions or work with the file appreciated.

gymdecal.ai

you didn't save that file right, there is nothing there,

?? The font may be protected. Does it open for anyone?

?? The font may be protected. Does it open for anyone?

here is a jpeg format. i cant get the original .ai under 1meg

when I open it in illy, it does say it is a newer version, and still allow is to open in older version, BUT it says the file was not saved with PDF. and it says the same thing when I open it in Flexistarter

If your saying the adhesive is the problem, then it sounds like your vinyl. can you do a sample cut on different type of vinyl?

If your saying the adhesive is the problem, then it sounds like your vinyl. can you do a sample cut on different type of vinyl?

sorry for the late follow up.

Yes I used oracal 651 and the weeding was not an issue. Just can't believe I spent so much on the 3M Controltac and can't even use it?:huh:

Have you adjusted your offset ?

I find when weeding is a chore, 1. incorrect pressure/offset 2. blades are blunt or 3. poor quality vinyl...

3M isnt poor quality, so it's your pressure/offset/blade, play around with your offset, just keep re-using the wastage yards....

I don't keep using up the vinyl, i just use the bits i've wasted..

sorry for the late follow up.

Yes I used oracal 651 and the weeding was not an issue. Just can't believe I spent so much on the 3M Controltac and can't even use it?:huh:

Another possibility is you've been sold bad stock... something that happens now and then with any product. I'd contact 3M about it and see if they'll make it right. I purchased some paint for a project Flat Black for some iron work I did and it would not go flat. Came to pass the paint was 5 year old stock even thought I had just purchased it from the supplier. They refunded the cost of the paint and reducer and supplied fresh product. Still lost hours of labor but not having to shell out another few hundred on paint and primer was nice.

So if you feel it's bad stock let them know... ;)

3M in white is a weeding nightmare. Period. It is not known for its weeding properties. Colors are fine but white, no. Always been a issue with thier products. It is a great vinyl but man, i will not ever buy any again and after talking with other shop owners across the country and hearing the same results it just confirmed that it wasnt just me.

3M in white is a weeding nightmare. Period. It is not known for its weeding properties. Colors are fine but white, no. Always been a issue with thier products. It is a great vinyl but man, i will not ever buy any again and after talking with other shop owners across the country and hearing the same results it just confirmed that it wasnt just me.

I don't use 3M but I am curious if this is a known issue as big as this company is they make no effort to correct the problem?

I don't use 3M but I am curious if this is a known issue as big as this company is they make no effort to correct the problem?

The life of the vinyl is awesome. Super stable and very strong. Applies awesome. But the white just does not weed. I haved mentioned this to my 3M rep and they have heard it before. But again it is just the formulation. If you get used to it it would not be so bad. By the end of my 50 yard roll i knew how i could and coulndnt pull it. If your weeding oracal cast all day for years and switch to that, do not attempt to grab a corner and go to town like your used to. It requires more finesse and maybe a few weed lines well placed.