dsage

GreenStar Intermediate Calendered Vinyl and water

I'm looking at doing some graphics on a boat for a couple and was going to use the GreenStar Intermediate Calendered Vinyl how would this hold up to being on a boat. At times some of the work would be partly under water. The boat is not kept on the water but it could be on the water up to 12plus hours at a time. What do you all think?

Man that is 3x the cost. What make the Oracal 751 so much better actually 3x better. This is just something they want done and they are planning on redoing it more than likely next year could be sooner.

Man that is 3x the cost. What make the Oracal 751 so much better actually 3x better. This is just something they want done and they are planning on redoing it more than likely next year could be sooner.

Yes, and the vinyl is 100x the vinyl. For that boat, trust us, use 751, you won't regret it at all

You asked what was best - there is no cheap answer. if you want your product to last use oracal! If you are not concerned about your reputation use Greenstar.

You asked what was best - there is no cheap answer. if you want your product to last use oracal! If you are not concerned about your reputation use Greenstar.

I never mentioned the best, I just asked how it would hold up. My Rep is not on the line, I normally do not do sticker type graphics, I'm an Airbrusher, this will be the frist time using it as a graphic. I normally just use vinyl as a stencil and so on. The couple wants to but some art down on the boat they have now and then get full on airbrush job later after they get more sponsors and such. I told them I do not do sticker type graphics then they saw my wife cutting out a stencil for a job and asked about it ans why I could not just use it to do the graphic. So I told them I'm a painter and they told me they understood they just need the graphic done so they can apply they sponsor stickers they have now. So going in they know the terms. I have done stufff for them before several other boats trucks ect. I have always doen them right and been up front and they know that ans said that they just want me to try it. So This is why I asked about how it would hold up, all the cost is coming from my pockets not theirs. If it will work and hold up for this summer I can them pull the boat in this winter and paint the boat the truck to match.

So back to how will it hold up. If no one has used it on a boat or in very wet condition then fine. The graphic is all above the water line until waves hit the side and while moving around on the water, but sitting still fishing its above the water for the most part, I would say it would be no different than a vehicle graphic that has snow on it for extended period of time like over night ect.

It holds up worse than 751.....I have samples of Greenstar, 651 and 751 on my truck...Same colour....Same Size Decal.....They have been there there about 6 months and the differences are quite noticeable in terms of shrinkage....For the minor difference in cost on a per job basis, I decided 751 was the way to go for my work....

I never mentioned the best, I just asked how it would hold up. My Rep is not on the line, I normally do not do sticker type graphics, I'm an Airbrusher, this will be the frist time using it as a graphic. I normally just use vinyl as a stencil and so on. The couple wants to but some art down on the boat they have now and then get full on airbrush job later after they get more sponsors and such. I told them I do not do sticker type graphics then they saw my wife cutting out a stencil for a job and asked about it ans why I could not just use it to do the graphic. So I told them I'm a painter and they told me they understood they just need the graphic done so they can apply they sponsor stickers they have now. So going in they know the terms. I have done stufff for them before several other boats trucks ect. I have always doen them right and been up front and they know that ans said that they just want me to try it. So This is why I asked about how it would hold up, all the cost is coming from my pockets not theirs. If it will work and hold up for this summer I can them pull the boat in this winter and paint the boat the truck to match.

So back to how will it hold up. If no one has used it on a boat or in very wet condition then fine. The graphic is all above the water line until waves hit the side and while moving around on the water, but sitting still fishing its above the water for the most part, I would say it would be no different than a vehicle graphic that has snow on it for extended period of time like over night ect.

Hey man..... yes you can use the greenstar for that... but it wont last long though.

Hope this helps

dakotagrafx, No problem

The graphic will be like the dark area on this boat. From the top rail to the water line, they are just wanting to get rid of some old art they have on the boat and fast, so they can add new sponsors.

post-17593-0-68919700-1303324787_thumb.j

Is the surface you are applying to flat?.....If is has any curve to it, cast vinyl (751) is much better as it will stay conformed to curve.....Calendared vinyl will try to flatten out and start to lift on the edges...

If cost is an issue and you have to order anyways- at least use Oracal 651. Yes everyone is right, 751 is BEST, Greenstar I started with 2 rolls and put one on some family vehicles. I am slowly recutting these and replacing with oracal. If you have it already, use the greenstar, but cut 2 and prepare them for the fact it may, or may not last through the summer, especially if it's in the sun at all, or constantly wet.

The Best would be Oracal 951. It out preforms 751 across the board.

And if its a high dollar boat with lots of use, time in the water, etc i would use 951. Plus More Colors

The Best would be Oracal 951. It out preforms 751 across the board.

And if its a high dollar boat with lots of use, time in the water, etc i would use 951. Plus More Colors

By the sounds of it, it isn't worthwhile for them as this will only be a 'temporary' install. They are trying to figure out how well the least expensive options will hold up....