Sign in to follow this  
espy

copam 2500 not completing cuts

My copam just started having issues completing cuts.  I've used it for months without a problem, but now for some reason it's not completing cuts....so makes weeding near impossible. 

Any ideas of what would cause it to all of the sudden not work...I changed the blade thinking a dull blade might be to blame, checked offset (.25mm).

What perplexes me is that the problem just started......never had an issue before now.

Any ideas?

Try differnet offset setting in the software. Maybe start at .10, then try .15, .20, .25, .30 etc. until they close.

I can try that...but not sure why it would all of the sudden not complete cuts when it's been working fine for months.......I haven't changed any of the settings....

I tried .10, .15, .20, .25, .30....

still doesn't complete the cuts.....this just started...it was cutting fine with .25mm offset on both the machine and set in the software.  I haven't changed anything...even checked the font using a font that I cut all the time with no problems.  This just started today.....and I'm at a loss for what to do....

Any suggestions?

Have you checked the blade?

ooops...missed that you already replaced it. I know I read some people were have problems with both tips of the blade.

I have put two different blades in (both roland blades, .25mm offset, and I've played with the offset settings in both the software, and on the copam iteself...neither way produces any results...in fact, changing the offset in the software does nothing, neither does changing the offset on the cutter......it doesn't appear to change anything at all!

What is going on.....I have some big jobs to cut, and my cutter is acting up.  I've been using this for 9+ months without problems, and now all of the sudden it started acting up, no changes to software, no changes to blade type, etc....what could cause this....I wonder if it's the blade holder not allowing it to swivel or something.  I've cleaned the blade holder, even put a little oil on the swivel end of the blade....still no change.

any ideas?

Maybe something on the carriage has come loose over time. Make sure the screws are tight and that there is no play in the carriage arm. You can also remove the carriage case to investiagte further.

I looked at that, doesn't appear to be anything loose at all.  I tried several new blades, I even tried a different blade holder, still no change.  I'm really at a loss here.....any ideas?  It's leaving big gaps where it's just not completing the cuts as it should.  about 1/8 to 1/4 in gaps, which makes weeding damn near impossible.

What program are you cutting with? Maybe we could try another program to see if it does the same.......and this would let us know if it is a cutter issue, or software related.

Guest fivestar

I take it you're running Windows, if so try system restore back to a date that you knew it worked correctly.  I've seen some windows updates do some very weird things to programs.  It's worth a shot.

It seems to be completing the cuts just fine using signcut X2 (which doesn't allow any design functionality).  I use flexi for the design functionality it provides.  I've played with the offset, and changed settings on a range from .01mm to .60mm....and it still doesn't complete the cut. 

Its hard as well because I'm using a graphtec driver that comes standard in flexi, and it has worked flawlessly for the past 9 months until just recently....so I'm not sure what could have changed.

I talked to flexi, and they provided a csm file for the copam, but the file doesn't have the option for LPT1 printer port, only com port, and I couldn't get teh copam to work hooked to the com port of my computer.

So, I think it's a software issue...too bad the copam can't figure out how to provide a descent driver that works with the industry leading design software....Flexi!

Nevermind that last post....even in signcut, isn't completing the cuts, just not completing them in different places....which is why I didn't notice until now.

Also, signcut doesn't have a "weld" feature I can find, so when cutting cursive, the letters get all chopped up....

Nevermind that last post....even in signcut, isn't completing the cuts, just not completing them in different places....which is why I didn't notice until now.

Also, signcut doesn't have a "weld" feature I can find, so when cutting cursive, the letters get all chopped up....

No, SignCut is strictly a cutting program, so you would need to use your design features in Flexi, InkScape, or Corel Draw, or even Adobe Illustrator, then save as an .eps, .ai, or .svg file, and open with SignCut. SignCut just allows you to size, rotate, add weed lines, and mirror, and several other cut layout features, but it has no design capabilities, such as welding. It does have a basic text feature, but does not allow you to manipulate the text.

The Copam driver for Flexi is still in the beta test phase, and I have the same one that I tested here. I let Copam know what I found with regards to the LPT1 issue, and assume they are working on it. There also would have been a mirroring issue if you had got it to work on the Serial to USB connection. Everything you cut comes out mirrored, unless you check that you want it mirrored in Flexi. Hope they get that solved as well. Have you tried the Roland PNC-960 driver in Flexi, or the HP HPGL?.....you had mentioned you use the GraphTec driver currently.

Any way you could post a pic of one of your cuts? Might give me a better idea of whats going on, but I am leaning towards a setting on the cutter, or hardware issue with the cutter. When you had tried different offsets, did you leave the Copam set to default, and only change the settings in the software, or both? Pinch rollers are in the green sections to make good contact with the feed rollers? Pinch rollers have not become loose, and is the tension of the rollers way off between the two? When you watch it cut, does it appear to be a tracking issue?

I would hate to see you send it back, but that is an option. Is this your only cutter?

I tried the PNC-960 and HPGL drivers, stuff comes out all garbled, and just cuts random stuff....so doesn't work at all.  It seems to be tracking just fine.

Also, I tried changing the offset in both the software, along with changing it on the cutter, neither fixed the problem.  The best results are with .20mm offset set in the software, with the cutter offset left at standard (.25mm).  But still doesn't complete the cuts.

Also, even in signcut, it's not completing cuts...mostly on weeding lines, but I'm noticing the same gaps (about 1/8 inch), so I'm thinking it's something with the cutter itself. 

Also, the simple fact that I've been using the cutter with the Graphtec driver with NO PROBLEMS for almost 10 months leads me to believe that it's something with the cutter.

SOLUTION!!!  I got my new copam 2500 here today, and just as I suspected...it was a cutter issue!  the new cutter cuts perfectly using the Graphtec CE1000-60 driver in Flexi.  Set it up via serial to usb, with a USB extention cable (since usb cable provided is only 3 ft long). 

Working great...after all of that pulling my hair out...no wonder I couldn't figure it out....hardware problem!

So did you need to send the Copam that is having issues back to us for a refund of the purchase of the new unit?

Yes, I need to send the old one back for a refund.  I spoke with you on the phone and you said I didn't need an RMA, but I do need to get instructions, i.e. the address to send it to, and any thing else I need to include with it so that credit is applied to the right account.

USCutter

Attn:Ken

19510 144th Ave NE

STE C-1

Woodinville, WA 98072

Just need the name of the person it was ordered under, or the order number.

Ken - have had similar problems with my CP-2500 for quite some time (2-3 months now) not closing the cuts on even the most basic of fonts and on large 10" tall letters, Flexi Pro 7.6v2, WinXP Pro, serial # on machine 023490 date of 1/07 is marked.  Makes production a pain when I have to go back, find all the open spots and hand close with exacto, just to weed properly.

Have tried all the typical solutions as mentioned in here, no solving problem. Sounds like most probable cause is hardware problem based on things mentioned in this thread. How can I fix the hardware problem here to minimize downtime or does it have to be sent back for fix?

email is Sales@54-Design.com if you'd prefer to contact direct instead of going through the forum.