blownss

MH1351 & SignCut x2 - Large Graphics Never Cut Correctly

Details

SignCut x2 version 2.19 (just updated to see if that would fix it, and it doesn't)

MH-1351

Tried both USB and serial interface

Windows XP SP 2

So I have a MH1351 and I am using the SignCut program that came with the cutter. Something I have always had a problem with is cutting large graphics (ie 40" or longer).

Usually what happens is if it is a large shape, the start and end points of the cut won't be connected. This isn't the end of the world usually because I can just finish it up with a knife and make it look fine.

However, I recently made a Chevy logo for a friends garage and it came out really really bad. The ends weren't connected like usual, but when I went to hang it up on the garage, this is how it looked:

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

You can see how uneven the widths of the horizontal parts are. They should be the same size but are almost an inch different in width. The file is fine, I have used the same file for smaller logos and they come out no problems. I measured the widths/heights inside of Corel and they are identical.

What is causing this? I'm tired of wasting vinyl on large items because of stuff like this. I am ready to throw this cutter/software out the window!!!  :why: :why: :why:

Any help is much appreciated!!!!!!

That to me looks like a cutter issue not a software issue. It's as if the cutters tracking is way off. We have this same problem, the vinyl walks all over the place. so long cuts the lines are diagonal up to 2" depending on length. The issue is with these pinch/friction cutters. The tractor type are almost 100% acurate because the vinyl doesn't have the ability to walk, it stays within the studded rollers.

To test this simply load vinyl up, make sure it's straight, and also make sure the roll is straight in relation to the cutter as well. Now that it's 100% lined up and straight take the cutter off line and use the arrow pad to spit out the vinyl, let it come out about 3' see how far off it is... I bet it's about 1" or so. Sometimes it's because the roll isn't sitting straight and the uneven tension causes the vinyl to walk. You can often solve this by rolling out 1' more vinyl than you need off the roll and let it hang so as to not create tension. On large vinyl this doesn't work so well as the backing is so rigid it walks reguardless. Othertimes it's because it's not lined up 100%, all you need is a mm from being 100% straight, and you have an inch a few linear feet later. Also, don't let the vinyl have slack while printing and suddenly get tension as it tries to feed more vinyl off the roll. That jolt will cause the feed angle to change dramatically and can cause undue wear/tear on the feed motor.

Hope this helps, i'm definately not an expert, this is just something I've seen from over a year of ownership of a 1351 like you.

Either way, you can play with learning how to angle things by using that technique of spitting the vinyl out. You can also cut the vinyl off the roll... line it up... then cut... just make sure you have enough vinyl. LOL

Guest Terry

That to me looks like a cutter issue not a software issue. It's as if the cutters tracking is way off. We have this same problem, the vinyl walks all over the place. so long cuts the lines are diagonal up to 2" depending on length. The issue is with these pinch/friction cutters. The tractor type are almost 100% acurate because the vinyl doesn't have the ability to walk, it stays within the studded rollers.

To test this simply load vinyl up, make sure it's straight, and also make sure the roll is straight in relation to the cutter as well. Now that it's 100% lined up and straight take the cutter off line and use the arrow pad to spit out the vinyl, let it come out about 3' see how far off it is... I bet it's about 1" or so. Sometimes it's because the roll isn't sitting straight and the uneven tension causes the vinyl to walk. You can often solve this by rolling out 1' more vinyl than you need off the roll and let it hang so as to not create tension. On large vinyl this doesn't work so well as the backing is so rigid it walks reguardless. Othertimes it's because it's not lined up 100%, all you need is a mm from being 100% straight, and you have an inch a few linear feet later. Also, don't let the vinyl have slack while printing and suddenly get tension as it tries to feed more vinyl off the roll. That jolt will cause the feed angle to change dramatically and can cause undue wear/tear on the feed motor.

Hope this helps, i'm definately not an expert, this is just something I've seen from over a year of ownership of a 1351 like you.

Either way, you can play with learning how to angle things by using that technique of spitting the vinyl out. You can also cut the vinyl off the roll... line it up... then cut... just make sure you have enough vinyl. LOL

Your right.

Thanks for the write-up and that is exactly what the problem was. For large stuff now, I just do what you said and cut the vinyl off of the roll for the desired length. and it works much better.

Anything under 50" or so I actually just cut with the vinyl fed sideways, and it eliminated this problem completely.

Thanks again. ;D

Mike