Sign in to follow this  
bulldogtees

what to charge ?

Hi ,Im new to the biz . Got my 1st job from a freind. He told me he paid $ 175.00 for 1sign 3x3  2 sided  with 4 lines of text each side. I figured I could do them cheaper, about $150. He also wanted 1 sign 4x8 saying OPEN. The job wouldnt have been bad if I just did the lettering but he wanted me to supply the wood/1/2" MDO, paint it and apply letters. Since I dont live in a major city , I had to order the MDO,& paint it .(in the middle of winter) The letters took about 5 yards . I want to treat him right, as he is a contractor & Im sure he will send me more biz. Any idea on the 4x8 price? thanks

No, but I will move this to the general section near the top of the forums to see if others in the industry can give you something to go on.

I am not sure what to chrage but think about this add up all your materials cost then double it then calculate how long it took you to make it then multiply the number of hours by what you think your worth ( Be realistic) an hour and then add that to your materials cost that you doubled and see what you get adjust as needed. Lots of factors play into the sale price so it will be hard for people to tell you what to charge you have to figure your time, your materials, your over head, and wethere or not you have competition etc...

Good luck!

Hi ,Im new to the biz . Got my 1st job from a freind. He told me he paid $ 175.00 for 1sign 3x3  2 sided  with 4 lines of text each side. I figured I could do them cheaper, about $150. He also wanted 1 sign 4x8 saying OPEN. The job wouldnt have been bad if I just did the lettering but he wanted me to supply the wood/1/2" MDO, paint it and apply letters. Since I dont live in a major city , I had to order the MDO,& paint it .(in the middle of winter) The letters took about 5 yards . I want to treat him right, as he is a contractor & Im sure he will send me more biz. Any idea on the 4x8 price? thanks

Many suppliers sell MDO already primed and finished with a white.

I usually ordered ten at a time, five gloss and five primed. You have to figure on a freight charge, If they deliver usually the shipping is free so look around your shop/garage and see what else you use. Buy enough to get discounts. Say seventy five white 18"x24" coroplast signs and perhaps add in vive sheets of 4' x 8' coroplast sheets. Don't faint, you

Many suppliers sell MDO already primed and finished with a gloss white. Find one.

I usually ordered ten at a time, five gloss and five primed. You have to figure on a freight charge, If they deliver, usually the shipping is free if you buy oh so much.

So look around your shop/garage and see what else you need. Buy enough to get discounts. Say seventy five white 18"x24" and twenty five yellow. Get a bunch of 24" x 32" coroplast signs and perhaps add in five sheets of 4' x 8' coroplast sheets. Don't faint, you will use it.

I used to think I was saving money by painting my own MDO but bu the time you buy thinners, sandpaper, primer, paint, rollers, extensions it will be about the same.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, be ready for the job tomorrow.

In my career thats how I beat the snot out of my competition by being fast, sharp and efficient.

If your prospect balks, switch him over to a $' x 8" banner.

A 4x8 DF MDO OPEN sign I would charge $275.00/ $150.00 for a banner.

Hi guys! Just got home from my real job& checked for replies. I was supprised to see this forum actually works. Im a newbee,but I hope to turn this cutter into a new & profitable way to make a living. I want to thank all of you for taking the time to reply! Your sugestions make sense to me & I know Ill have to purchase some kind of pricing gide. Thanks to Kermies for puting me in the right spot. Hope I dont have to use this forum much, But Im sure glad its here! :thanks:

Hi guys! Just got home from my real job& checked for replies. I was supprised to see this forum actually works. Im a newbee,but I hope to turn this cutter into a new & profitable way to make a living. I want to thank all of you for taking the time to reply! Your sugestions make sense to me & I know Ill have to purchase some kind of pricing gide. Thanks to Kermies for puting me in the right spot. Hope I dont have to use this forum much, But Im sure glad its here! :thanks:

If you use a pricing guide, chances are it will put you out of business before you start. Check around the businesses who already have signs, ask them where they got it and how much did they pay for it. It's a matter of doing a little homework. Take notes.

If you use a pricing guide, chances are it will put you out of business before you start. Check around the businesses who already have signs, ask them where they got it and how much did they pay for it. It's a matter of doing a little homework. Take notes.

I agree 100% !

You could use MDO, but I would consider a different material especialy with the new substrates that are out there.

With MDO finishing is required and primed is not a finish. Consider Dibond material as it has finished sides, looks better and is about half the weight of MDO and comparable price wise.

With Dibond we would be at $275.00 - $325.00 uninstalled

Thanks for the info on price guides. I guess Ill need to make some calls &visits to local shops. 

Reguarding the Dibond, Any quick links to a supplyer?  How does this stuff hold up outdoors? :thanks:

Could I ask why?  I was thinking of getting a pricing guide...  I know what costs needs to be covered in my screen-printing business, and have just recently added vinyl cutting to my services I can offer (Once I'm proficient with it all)...  Do the guides estimate way too high? Or way too low?  Or is pricing just too regional, regardless of costs & overhead?

Thanks,

Rex S.

I have never seen or used a price guide but I have heard from others that they are a bit steep.

Your best bet is to do what I posted earlier and call around to some of the other local sign shops play stupid and act like a business and try to get a basic price out of them ( this can be tough as many want to see art work and want to see you in person) but try to get a basic ball park out of them then look at what your numbers are from my formula and then adjust it up or down but always charge extra for materials helps covering the weeded waste.

Good Luck!