Sign in to follow this  
Pistonpump

oracle 651

Hi all. Well i discovered something today that got my attention. At my full time job today I received a decal that needed to go on a machine. It was oracal 651 white vinyl with printing on it. I assumed it was thermal printing and then noticed a crease in it. It was laminated. I took the lamination off and decided to test the ink on it. It wiped right off with a little thinner.

I was wondering if anyone out there is printing on this? I just got a canon large format printer and if it works then what am I doing spending a ton of money on the specialty vinyl?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I did check the oracal website and it only recommends thermal printing on this vinyl.

Thanks in advance.

Geo

i do it sometimes with eco-solvent inks and it works good. but it would only be for short term projects.

• Like 1

:thumbsup:

i do it sometimes with eco-solvent inks and it works good. but it would only be for short term projects.

What kind of time frame is short term?

Geo

I print a few things on it from time to time as well..I have had some stuff on my truck now for 3 month still looks good..I would say 12 month maybe longer??

Jfought you have been printing longer than me HOW long is your short term?? :D

stetson5331

I can get Oracal 651 a full 300 feet for 90 dollars. I can get regular inkjet printable vinyl for $140.00 for 100 feet.

That is why I was asking about printing on it.

GEO

Is your Canon printer waterbased? Because coated vinyl is a lot more expensive than those that can be used with a solvent/eco-solvent printer.

Also, where are you getting your Oracal 651? 300' is 2 full rolls, so, your price would be $45 a roll. What width are your rolls? If they're 24", that's really cheap and I want some at that price!

For a roll or printable Intermediate Oracal 30"x150', you can prob find it for around $60-70 a roll.

I think you have a serious math problem......

White Oracal 651 is about 27 cents a square foot....Orajet 3641 is about 18 cents a square foot....Full rolls at US Cutter prices.....

I get most of my supplies from Fellers. I am lucky I have a fellers 2 blocks from my full time job. Yes the canon is water based...Pigment.

Geo

I got the 300' foot rolls that were special ordered and then canceled by a previous customer. I was able to be at the right place at the right time. I also have been able to get damaged and out of date material at great pricing. When you call in a order (ASK). They do price matching also. They also have clearance sales at the warehouses from time to time also.

Geo

You will not be able to print on the oracal 651 with your Canon..The material that the Canon can print on has a special coating on it to allow the ink to set between it and the vinyl..If you try to print on the Oracal it will run right off..Wrong kind of inl to print and set ..I use ink jet printable vinyl on my Canon because I have the same machine..It is about 10 times more expensive than solvent printable media.I usually can order a 54" roll of printable media for around 22 cents a sq for the solvent printer and it's around 1.40 for the Canon media...I can also full print a square foot with the solvent ink for around .39 cents and the Canon is around 1.50 per quare..I would much rather print with the solvent Mutoh I have than the Canon for larger prints..

Way different types of media for each machine...Check your costs on the media..I order sol printable by the 150' rolls the inkjet comes in a 40' roll for many times the price..

I have both printers so I can tell you from experience not speculation...

stetson5331

just my 2 cents

Thanks for the info. Glad I didn't try it. The solvent market has the best stuff at the best prices. Except the printers are so damn much! That is why I grabbed the canon and started there.

Thanks,

Geo

Have you ever looked at LEXJET.com for your inkjet media? Did you get a chance to check out Inkjetcarts? Cheaper ink pricing.

Geo

Yeh I have a lexjet account but still MUCH higher than sol based media..I have already seen such a jump in profit on the stuff printed from my solvent printer I will never print another banner, or vinyl on my Canon again..Just not as good of a profit center..Now for posters and photos, paper banners and such thats another story..

I started with the Canon..It's a great place to start..Cut your teeth on it then upgrade and do what I am doing have the best in both worlds...

stetson5331

Great advice. As soon as I can get a solvent I will. Too damn much money for them! Unless you get lucky and find a deal.

Geo