Sign in to follow this  
jstovson

Help Please

Can anyone tell me how to add a font after you've downloaded it? Any help would be appreciated.    :help:  Starla  :notsure:

there might be an easier way but I just copy and paste it into my windows font folder. You can find it by going to START then CONTROL PANEL then FONTS

word of caution..it MIGHT be a zip file if it is you need to unzip it first.

John hit the nail on the head... upload it to your font folder in windows, and then restart SB and the font will be there. Sometimes, I've had to actually open the font file, and then restart SB for it to be there.

With Vista it is is even easier.

Download to any folder on your computer.

Right click then left click on install.

That's it. So easy!

You should not have to reboot or even restart SignBlazer.

That is with XP SP2 or Vista.

If you have to reboot check how much RAM you have.

You may need more.

Jerry from SignBlazer.

Jerry I have never been able to access newly installed fonts without restarting SignBlazer...I thought it loaded all fonts when it started up. Is there some feature that scans for new fonts or something?

It is Windows that does the scan not the software.

With XP there are a known number of problems with fonts.

There is a file (i cannot remember the name now) in Windows that stores all the fonts name (not the font file name).

This has a 10K limit.

If you exceed this then many fonts will not appear and you may have to either reboot Windows and or SignBlazer when you add extra fonts for the Windows font folder.

So in your fonts folder you must not exceed about 700 fonts to be on the safe side.

You have to experiment with this and sometimes it is possible to have 1,000 fonts.

Remember it is not the file name that is stored it is the internal font name.

These can be much longer than the file name.

Example  The font may be called Helvbc.ttf and the internal name of this font is Helvetica Bold Condensed

To overcome this problem because the full version of SignBlazer comes with more than 1300 display fonts (it took us more than 6 years to build all these perfect fonts) with kerning tables of more than a 1,000 kerning pairs per font we do our fonts a different way.

SignBlazer fonts are not stored in the Windows font folder.

They are stored in their own folder.

Then they are loaded dynamically.

So often these are called dynamic fonts.

Also we found that although TTF fonts supposedly can contain 1,000 or more kerning pairs in reality they become so slow to use as to be a painful experience.

So if you check out the TTF specifications you will find an obscure section where you can have your kerning tables in a separate file.

We did this and "hey presto" we had the fastest loading TTF fonts ever to use.  Because they contained NO Kerning tables.

I don't know of any other other software in the world that supports External TTF kerning tables.

So if you have to reboot then get rid of all those extra fonts in your fonts folder.

You will also see quite an increase in the speed of Windows as well.

So with SignBlazer it is possible to have more than 2300 fonts installed in Windows.

No other sign software has these features.

Jerry from SignBlazer.