Sign in to follow this  
Darthphunk

Epson 9600 and vinyl decals

Hey guys.

I am fairly new to this and I am acquiring an Epson 9600 next week to supplement some of my color printing needs.  My question is about printing stickers/decals.  I'm going to look into producing custom artwork for gaming/redemption machines.

What sort of material do I need?  I mean I know I need self adhesive inkjet vinyl... but what specifically should I get? And where do I get it? What is the "top shelf liquor" of adhesive vinyl?  What's the "well drink" of adhesive vinyl?

Also, The ultrachrome ink that this printer uses is dye based.  Is that the best for this type of application?  I know there are refill kits for pigment based inks... but I am not sure if that's advisable.

Eventually I want to be able to make high quality silk screened vinyl graphics... but that's a ways off.

Any advice?

Thanks for the help.

sihl vinyl and the dye is best for indoor picture as it will fade the quickest.  pigment for longer lasting prints - laminate for best performance but don't expect it to last like a eco sol printed vinyl

What do you mean by gaming/redemption machines? Do you mean gaming consoles like the PS3 and Wii? Or arcade machines?

As much as I love Sihl 3988 (a top shelf and best value aqueous vinyl IMHO), for gaming consoles I would recommend something removable. Mactac JT1858R is pretty good, but hard to find. If the artwork will be for arcade machines, Sihl 3988 all the way! It prints beautifully. I get mine from signwarehouse or allsquareonline.

The dye ink will be fine for indoor decals, but I'd go for the pigment inks in case you do any decals to be put on cars or other things that may get some sunlight exposure. Another advantage of the pigment inks is that if you decide down the line you want to add garment decoration to your arsenal you already have the inks in place. Pigment inks come out great. They're a great all-around ink to use. Also I highly recommend getting a CIS from Cobra Ink, or even the printer from there too. It will be internally installed and Richard's customer service is top shelf too.

Examples:

Both were printed on 3g Jet Opaque

hoody1.jpg

shirt1.jpg

I plan on making graphics for arcades/claw machines/ticket machines.

Thanks for the help guys!

Feel free to add any more info if anyone else has advice/suggestions.

Thanks!

I'd definitely stick with Sihl 3988 laminated. It should hold up great. I'd also go for pigment inks, just in case anything you print will go on a machine near a window.