Shellworks

Soooo new-all types of materials and which cutter?

Hi all!

I recently discovered using cut lettering, twill and fabric. I am in love....such a beautiful result. I want to start cutting for myself....at this point, not really looking at producing for other shops, just for mine.

Are these cutters for all types of materials, or just for vinyl? I really want to venture out and use some creative cotton based materials as well as the vinyls.

Will the $300 range cutters works for me? I am loooking at doing some shapes and mostly lettering.

I am so new-and I so appreciate any input.

Thank you!!

Shell

Hi ,

Vinyl , gasket material & stencil type stuff .

Yep , A buddy who has a used motorcycle shop has a program where he can cut any gasket for any motorcycle with a vinyl cutter . Gasket material instead of vinyl .

Nope . I suggest you watch some youtube videos to see how cutters work . I don't think there would be a practical way to hold the stuff you are talking about rigid enough to cut .

Yep , A buddy who has a used motorcycle shop has a program where he can cut any gasket for any motorcycle with a vinyl cutter . Gasket material instead of vinyl .

i had a compressor head i needed to rebuild. the gasket material was way too thick for the cutter to do, but i did find it simple to draw up the gasket, then use the pen plotter to draw the pattern to cut out. worked great.

What about cotton and polytwills for sweats and shirts?

sweat shirt matl sounds a little thick for the blades, but i can see maybe like a t-shirt type cotton, maybe with some contact spray adhesive used to secure it to a piece of posterboard or something?

My buddy cuts gaskets almost every day foir the past 8 years . There has to be gasket material that is designed for vinyl cutters that has a backing . I'll have to look next time i am over there . Also your cutter may not have enough downforce , strength etc .The USC techs recomended a Copam when I asked about it .

sweat shirt matl sounds a little thick for the blades, but i can see maybe like a t-shirt type cotton, maybe with some contact spray adhesive used to secure it to a piece of posterboard or something?

scissors ...

The gaskets are the same as any other gaskets . I would thnk most gaskets are stamped cut , but I have watched the gaskets getting cut with a vinyl cutter .

It would have to be thin material and you would have to put it on some sort of a backing. Maybe one of the adhesive mats that the Cricut use would work.

That would have to be some thin gasket material.... :D

that would be my thought as well. i have to press down pretty damn hard with a utility knife, much harder than id imagine virtually any vinyl cutter generating that kind of downforce, and i often still have to make additional passes.

I should be going over the shop this week . I'll check out what type of material it is . I had thought of getting the program to make/sell gaskets , but the program was too much money to try & make a profit out of it .

Well now that i think of it, the gasket material I got for repairing my compressor MAY have been doable in there, but not the normal material i've used in the past... I'd have to agree, for most applications the cutter (at least mine) wouldn't be able to cut it....

A little late for the show but, stahls sells polytwill used for vinyl cutters. I also use twill usa . It works fairly well but my plotter is starting to show it's age and the cuts don't always go althe way through. Make sure you use a (new) 60 deg blade. good luck if you're still out there!

I should be going over the shop this week . I'll check out what type of material it is . I had thought of getting the program to make/sell gaskets , but the program was too much money to try & make a profit out of it .

Any more info on this? Thank you kindly!