Sign in to follow this  
wilfong45

dirt bike vinyl

I had someone ask me to make some dirt bike vinyl for him. What kind of vinyl is best for this? I have a 24" VE Lynx s-60 cutter. I wasnt sure what to use because of the constant mud and powerwashing. Any help is appreciated

a friend and i used a combination of a few different vinyls that he had laying around to sticker up a rally car that my previous employer sponsored.  we used oracal 651, 751 and some of the cheaper avery stuff (and possibly some of the less expensive 3m vinyl as well), as we figured the car would take a TON of abuse and we'd end up replacing the vinyl at regular intervals (along with them replacing fenders, doors, etc... haha).  As it turned out, we had to do VERY little replacement of any of the vinyl, as it all seemed to hold up great through all the cold weather, dirt, mud, etc.  i was very impressed.  here's a pic of the car we did, just because it was tons of fun and we thought it turned out great: 

_dsc1460.jpg

On the plastic gas tank on most dirtbike , regular vinyl will bubble .What comes from the factory & aftermarket motorcycle specific companies is perforated vinyl that is very thivk . Somtimes it bubbles also . I would always poke a pinhole in the bubble  & it would reattach for awhile .

Yep, if the gas tank is plastic the fuel gets absorbed into the plastic and off gasses the decals. Ive heard of using CONVEX for printed stuff or perf.