Sign in to follow this  
Q

Need help choosing vinyl.

I finally got my us cutter working on my pc even though i purchased it for a mac. Now that i have made a few cuts on transfer paper i'm ready to take a dive into the world of vinyl. I'm trying to make decals for cars since i coach my sons football team and basketball team. I need help choosing what vinyl is right for the job or can i use the same type of vinyl for car decals and t-shirts. Can someone help me out with this issue i would prefer to go to a local shop in the DFW metroplex to purchase supplies but have no problem shopping on line. I just prefer to see what i buying rather than going off of a image online being that i am new to this. I hear thermo flex is good along with other brands but like i said i'm new to this and dont have anymore room for error. Once again thanks in advance for any productive info.

Q. :throw:

The types of vinyl used for each application may be different.

T-shirts for example....you would be cutting heat press transfer vinyl, and use a heat press to attach it to your garment. I have heard Thermoflex mentioned alot in the forums, and FDC? Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

As for vehicals...you would be cutting self adhesive vinyl. This vinyl comes in two styles I believe: cast and calandered. Do not remember which would be used for vehicals, but yet again....I am sure someone else will contribute to the answer. Some popular brands ar 3M, Oracal, Avery, and now USCutter carries a brand which you can check out at our online store.

Glad to hear you are cutting, but still frustrated trying to think of the reasoning behind it not working on your Mac.

:)

I would like to buy the sample pack in the us cutter store but i want to find out what the vinyl can be used for. Shirts or Vehicles or both. Hopefully someone gets this in time for me to order today. Thanks Q.

the vinyl that us cutter sells would be the kind to use on vehicles.  thermo flex is for garments, and you need a heat press to use it. 

also go to the links at the top of vinyl section.  about the free vinyl.  The companys will send you a sample roll of vinyl.  something to play with,  The avery that I got was a white roll, and the Arlon was black.  great to learn with since they are free... and I suggest practicing with all the free vinyl you can get, that way if you mess up,(Which you probably will at some point, "thats learning") it hasn't cost you anything. 

sorry for the delayed resposne i'm in plano i was reffered by a place called sign solution in plano to a company called glantz & son they were highly recomended and local in irving, TX i believe the guy at sign solution says thats where he gets all his supplies and they do C.O.D also i think i might check that place out. But as for now i have ordered the thermoflex for shirts but have yet to choose a vinyl for vehicles becuase i'm not sure on what to try. I also want to do some wall art but i'm not sure what type of vinyl is used for that as well. Thanks for any info you can help me out with on this issue.

Q. :yes:

also go to the links at the top of vinyl section.  about the free vinyl.  The companys will send you a sample roll of vinyl.  something to play with,  The avery that I got was a white roll, and the Arlon was black.  great to learn with since they are free... and I suggest practicing with all the free vinyl you can get, that way if you mess up,(Which you probably will at some point, "thats learning") it hasn't cost you anything. 

What websites did you find the free sample rolls of vinyl?  As soon as I decide on which USCutter model to get, it would be nice to play a little bit with some sample vinyl, plus have a chance to play with a couple different brands before purchasing.

What websites did you find the free sample rolls of vinyl?  As soon as I decide on which USCutter model to get, it would be nice to play a little bit with some sample vinyl, plus have a chance to play with a couple different brands before purchasing.

There are some links for free vinyl stickey'd at the top of the Vinyl category.

Thanks!  When I found this thread, it was from a search...so I didn't see those free vinyl posts initially.  I see them now. Thanks again. ;)