alex11

Help with cutting table?

I will be laminating some photos where the laminate will have about 1" overhang all the way around. I need to go back and cut the excess off with a utility knife. I currently have a wood table 26-36, I just need type of cutting surface to clamp/glue/scew down on top of that.  What are good options, I don't want it to scratch up because I will be laminating more images in the same spot, and I am trying to keep a nice flat area, they say it is essential that it stays completely flat for the manual laminator I will be using.

I use the "self-healing" cutting mats that you fing at Walmart or a sewing supply shop. I have about 10 2 X 4 mats and just lay them out as I need them.

What exactly are these made of?  Are they solid or are they slightly cushioned?  I looked at a couple online just now and it says they are rolled and shipped?

What exactly are these made of?  Are they solid or are they slightly cushioned?  I looked at a couple online just now and it says they are rolled and shipped?

I think it might be better to just go to the store and buy one because I just read a description of an OLFA self healing mat http://www.olfa.com/MatsDetail.aspx?C=10&Id=85 and it says to store flat. Check ou the description, that's the one I use.

at work my boss made a really cool table with a florescent light underneath, the top is a thick glass shower door and he had the stand welded to hold rolls of plastic for bagging stuff at the back and the front holds rolls of premask, quite handy too

sue

I think it might be better to just go to the store and buy one because I just read a description of an OLFA self healing mat http://www.olfa.com/MatsDetail.aspx?C=10&Id=85 and it says to store flat. Check ou the description, that's the one I use.

I read the ship/store flat thing too. I never do, I actually just store them against a wall and my cutter. Or, roll them up enough to stick in a cubby and and mine are just fine and, still lay flat...

http://www.cutting-mat.com/proddetail.asp?prod=599

This links for a 4'x8', but got their home page and look around they have your size on there...

I have talked to them and they say they will custom cut a mat to any size for you..The link is to a deal for a complete set of tools..Seems to be a really good deal...I am finishing up my table today I hope and will be ordering this later in the week...

stetson5331

The dahle mats I purchased from blick art materials all shipped flat. Dahle cutting mats are great, and pretty cheap.

Just ordered on of these for $43.99.  What type of knife do you recommend using to cut a 1mil laminate on this mat, x-acto, rotary, regular utility knife?

A little late in the discussion, but here's what I use. It's a 2x4  flouresent light with a piece of glass on top. Double use as a light table and cutting table. No scratches and the knife blades stay sharp longer.

post-6953-12986565951415_thumb.jpg

post-6953-1298656597094_thumb.jpg

A little late in the discussion, but here's what I use. It's a 2x4  flouresent light with a piece of glass on top. Double use as a light table and cutting table. No scratches and the knife blades stay sharp longer.

How do you ventalate it?

Does the glare from the direct lighting bother your eyes?

Thanks

stetson5331

I use it more for cutting than I do layering, but it is an old dropped ceiling light, so it has some venilation, but the bulbs don't get too hot. As far as the glare, I haven't had any problems, but then again I'm old and half blind as it is...most of what I layer is a few small things so it doesn't stay on long.

Just buy a cutting mat to put on top when cutting, simple.