Xmom

So my son wants me to put vinyl on his electric guitar...thoughts?

He has a black electric guitar and is a fan of Van Halen.  He found a jpeg file of the stripe pattern that if I took the time to learn, could convert that to an eps.  (I am mainly a vinyl for one or two craft shows per year and for friends)  I would guess that is not legal though, since that is a copyrighted design?

Another question...if he made up his own pattern of stripes, he thinks it would be okay to just 'layer' the stripes on top of one another. I explained about the 'bumps' where the stripes would overlay.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be most helpful.

Thanks, XMom

So, your son wants to be Eddie Van Halen huh?

Is your son planning on selling the guitar with the intent of saying it is a "EVH Model"? If not, I don't really see an issue with slapping the pattern on his fiddle.

Tell him he has to learn "Eruption" note for note before you will cut the vinyl...

I wouldn't worry about the legality. So he got the sticker from a flea market or music store. Besides, who's going to call the FBI on him anyway. Use removable vinyl and just go for it, if he doesn't like it you can do it over again.

I agree with the other posters . I will make whatever I want to use myself , family or even for some friends . I would never make copyrighted stuff for anybody I would not trust with alot of money ( basically the cost to defend & settle a civil lawsuit :huh: )

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately, he is not home for me to ask where he saved the jpeg pic of the stripes.  How hard is it to convert?  I am a 'forever' newbie since I don't have a lot of extra time and do the vinyl mainly for friends.  I use SignBlazer.

Once I talk to him, I will post the pic.

Thanks, XMom

Oh, and I will tell him about "Eruption."  :huh:

I did it on my guitar didn't even cut it on the cutter. I just cut random strips white and black with red being the background so I used bigger pieces. I had an airbrushed skull and dragon on the guitar, I got tired of it so I did this. After 2 years I gave the guitar to my nephew and we peeled all the vinyl of with out a problem the ugly skull and dragon was still there. I was stocking LG Vizuon 6000 vinyl then so thats what I used.